Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Sierra High Route

  • Ima Person
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2009
      http://www.ehow.com/how_2178580_rate-rock-climbing-pitch.html

      Try this one, there are many out there, a google search of "CLIMBING CLASS 3 PITCH" is what I used.  Enjoy.

      Al

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 9, 2010
        Starting to plan a SHR trip. Anyone been there done that and care to chat about it?

        Be well,
        Jack Young
      • Jamie Compos
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 9, 2010
          I personally haven't done it... but if I were, I would take a good look at Andy Skurka's info. He sells the only specific "high route" maps that I know of - there's also supposed to be a guidebook out there somewhere.

          There's still a slim chance that I could end up out there sometime in August, as I'm still not sure where I'll be hiking this summer

          Cheers!
          Jamie Compos

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 10, 2010
            The definitive Sierra High Route guidebook was written by Steve
            Roper, the man who defined the route:

            The Sierra High Route: Traversing Timberline Country (Paperback)
            ~ Steve Roper

            Paperback: 224 pages
            Publisher: Mountaineers Books; 2 edition (May 1997)
            Language: English
            ISBN-10: 0898865069
            ISBN-13: 978-0898865066

            http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-High-Route-Traversing-Timberline/dp/0898865069/ref=tmm_pap_title_popover_sr#noop

            --
            Kurt Herzog

            Grants Pass, Oregon
          • Peter Burke
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2010
              Jamie Compos wrote:

              > I personally haven't done it... but if I were, I would take a good
              > look at Andy Skurka's info. He sells the only specific "high route"
              > maps that I know of - there's also supposed to be a guidebook out
              > there somewhere.
              > http://www.andrewskurka.com <http://www.andrewskurka..com>

              have done a few small sections over the years as JMT alternates, but
              still hope to do the whole thing one day. I have Roper's book and you
              probably will want to bring it, since unlike the JMT, there's no trail
              to follow and the verbal descriptions are key to finding the right
              route. I don't think anyone has released a GPS track for any of the high
              route, which is probably a good thing :)

              here's my link collection on the HSR

              http://cwillett.imathas.com/shr/ (reading this will give you a very
              good idea about the trail from a non-ultra runner view)
              http://kevinsawchuk.blogspot.com/2007/08/high-sierra-route-record-august-2005.html
              http://andrewskurka.com/SHR08/index.php
              http://www.redpoint.org/HSR/index.html
              http://www.davidloome.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102:sierra-high-route-2009-200-miles-july-2009&catid=46:hikes-and-photos&Itemid=67