Re: [John Muir Trail] Amenities at Resupply Points

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2013
      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM, billjbill29 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Is the lake heated by hot springs as its name would suggest?

      Yep.  Very nice.

      Link to the lake here

      Paste this in a browser for the location if above link does not work

      Also placenamed on this map

      http://goo.gl/maps/27uOp

    • Don Amundson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2013
        I'll have a go at this.

        Tuolumne Meadows.  Hot meals at the Grill. Toilets in the campground.  There are showers at the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge down the road but for paying guests only.  A nice place to stay by the way but usually booked well in advance.  I'm not sure if you have to be a guest to eat there.  I know you have to make a reservation to eat.  The food it great.

        Reds Meadow.  They now have a six stall shower house at the resort. Fee for use. The campground is about 1/4 mile away.  The hot springs shower house there was wiped out by a tree and has not been rebuilt.

        VVR.  Showers and laundry for a fee. They no longer offer a nights free lodging (first come first serve) in the tent cabin for backpackers. Rumor has it some backpacker(s) abused the privilege.  They may have a tent cabin or motel room available but reservations are advised.  Free tent camping at the resort.

        John answered the MTR questions.  I disagree about his water comment. The water from the pipe for backpackers at the resort comes from a spring fed source and is delicious. I find his comment about the store being " intelligently-stocked" quite funny.  I would describe it as oddly stocked but they just might have the oddity you need.  Look in the hiker buckets first if you need something. Besides the big hot springs pool that is heavily used there is a two person and a one person pool (possibly more) nearby in the meadow.  Takes a bit of wandering to find them.

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 03:13:13 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Amenities at Resupply Points

        I start on the JMT the 26th and have been trying to put together lists of amenities offered at Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, Vermillion Valley Resort, and Muir Trail Ranch. I wanted to find out whether each stop had hot meals, potable water, resupply packages, hiker barrels, trash collection, toilets, showers, laundry, and lodging (no reservation needed).

        I realize that access to some of these amentities requires that you be a paying guest at certain locations, so I left those off when that was the case. I only listed those that hikers can easily access for free or a small fee. I was unable to determine whether or not a few of the amenities are offered at certain locations, so if one of you JMTers who has already completed the trail could answer the questions I have, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

        Tuolumne Meadows- hot meals, potable water, resupply packages, trash collection, toilets
        *Are the showers for lodge guests only or can anyone use them for free or a small fee?

        Reds Meadow- hot meals, potable water, resupply packages, hiker barrels, trash collection, toilets, showers
        *Do you have to stay at the campground to use the showers?

        Vermillion Valley Resort- hot meals, potable water, resupply packages, hiker barrels, trash collection, toilets, showers, laundry, lodging (no reservation needed)

        Muir Trail Ranch- resupply packages, hiker barrels, trash collection
        *Is there potable water available to hikers? Are there toilets available to hikers? I read that there are campgrounds near MTR. If so, where?

      • billjbill29
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2013
          Thanks for the info. I might try to find one of those pools!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >

          > Tuolumne Meadows- hot meals, potable water, resupply packages, trash collection, toilets
          >
          > *Are the showers for lodge guests only or can anyone use them for free or a small fee?
          >

          > Reds Meadow- hot meals, potable water, resupply packages, hiker barrels, trash collection, toilets, showers
          >
          > *Do you have to stay at the campground to use the showers?
          >

          > Vermillion Valley Resort- hot meals, potable water, resupply packages, hiker barrels, trash collection, toilets, showers, laundry, lodging (no reservation needed)
          >

          > Muir Trail Ranch- resupply packages, hiker barrels, trash collection
          >
          > *Is there potable water available to hikers? Are there toilets available to hikers? I read that there are campgrounds near MTR. If so, where?

        • trixhiker
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2013
            No need to be an overnight lodge guest to eat at Toulumne Meadows Lodge. I am heading out in the trail Sunday and have reservations later in the week for dinner, even though I'll be slumming it up in the backpacker campground that night. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the menu is ala carte. I'm used to Phantom Ranch's set menu in the Grand Canyon. I also was happy to hear that they have multiple vegetarian options. I was quoted $7 for the low end of veg food with veggie burgers starting at $13 (or was it $11??) and veggie entrees at $20.

            Maybe I'll try to figure out the showers there too....

            Good luck!
            Tiffani
          • Barbara Karagosian

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 12, 2013
                I'll probably be skipping the lodge this time around (I'll be coming from Cathedral Lakes and want to make it to the base of the Donahue Pass climb), but it's good to know for next time. Good luck on your trip!