Re: Sierra High Route

  • Patronio@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 7, 2009
      What does Class 3 means? Can someone lead me to a site that defines/describes
      the difficulty levels of mountain climbing? Thank you in advance.

    • Ima Person
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2009
        http://www.ehow.com/how_2178580_rate-rock-climbing-pitch.html

        Try this one, there are many out there, a google search of "CLIMBING CLASS 3 PITCH" is what I used.  Enjoy.

        Al

        ________________________________
        What does Class 3 means? Can someone lead me to a site that defines/describes
        the difficulty levels of mountain climbing? Thank you in advance.

      • Jack Young
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 9, 2010
          Starting to plan a SHR trip. Anyone been there done that and care to chat about it?

          Be well,
          Jack Young
        • Jamie Compos
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 9, 2010
            I personally haven't done it... but if I were, I would take a good look at Andy Skurka's info. He sells the only specific "high route" maps that I know of - there's also supposed to be a guidebook out there somewhere.

            There's still a slim chance that I could end up out there sometime in August, as I'm still not sure where I'll be hiking this summer

            Cheers!
            Jamie Compos

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 10, 2010
              The definitive Sierra High Route guidebook was written by Steve
              Roper, the man who defined the route:

              The Sierra High Route: Traversing Timberline Country (Paperback)
              ~ Steve Roper

              Paperback: 224 pages
              Publisher: Mountaineers Books; 2 edition (May 1997)
              Language: English
              ISBN-10: 0898865069
              ISBN-13: 978-0898865066

              http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-High-Route-Traversing-Timberline/dp/0898865069/ref=tmm_pap_title_popover_sr#noop

              --
              Kurt Herzog

              Grants Pass, Oregon
            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2010
                Jamie Compos wrote:

                > I personally haven't done it... but if I were, I would take a good
                > look at Andy Skurka's info. He sells the only specific "high route"
                > maps that I know of - there's also supposed to be a guidebook out
                > there somewhere.
                > http://www.andrewskurka.com <http://www.andrewskurka..com>

                have done a few small sections over the years as JMT alternates, but
                still hope to do the whole thing one day. I have Roper's book and you
                probably will want to bring it, since unlike the JMT, there's no trail
                to follow and the verbal descriptions are key to finding the right
                route. I don't think anyone has released a GPS track for any of the high
                route, which is probably a good thing :)

                here's my link collection on the HSR

                http://cwillett.imathas.com/shr/ (reading this will give you a very
                good idea about the trail from a non-ultra runner view)
                http://kevinsawchuk.blogspot.com/2007/08/high-sierra-route-record-august-2005.html
                http://andrewskurka.com/SHR08/index.php
                http://www.redpoint.org/HSR/index.html
                http://www.davidloome.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102:sierra-high-route-2009-200-miles-july-2009&catid=46:hikes-and-photos&Itemid=67