Re: Eating whole, plant-based foods

  • Erica
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 11 6:44 PM
      John - I, too, will be eating a vegan plant-based diet on my hike (striving for particularly digestible,nutrient-dense foods) - I just started dehydrating my my first batch of meals yesterday. I'd love to hear some of your 'menu' for your trip!

      Also, I highly recommend the Thrive series of books for anyone looking for an excellent plant-based training/recovery model diet. I'm trying to follow his guidelines for my hike and using some of his recipes

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "john_friend" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > My JMT food (we start this Saturday) is entirely plant-based. Since I haven't done a trip this weight sensitive, it took me some extra research and lots of sample meals in the kitchen to figure out what to take that combined high calorie density, space efficiency, enough plant-based protein and enough calories, but I managed (3000 calories/day, 100g of protein). If I was going to do this regularly, I'd buy a dehydrator and just make some of my favorite meals (like a three bean chili loaded full of vegetables) and dehydrate it, but I didn't go that route this time.
      >
      > --John
    • Jim White
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 14 10:36 PM
        Added up our meat... Salmon jerky, beef jerky, beef sticks, bacon jerky, dried buffalo (Tanka), dried ground beef, dried ground pork sausage...

        Approx 20 pounds and $400+ for four of us on a 25 day hike plan.

        If that isn't enough protein, hopefully the 5 dozen dehydrated eggs will help.

        100 person x days of food is a daunting planning task.

        Jim