Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: 0.4 lb weight loss per day leads to loss of strength and feeling less energetic in lean, active young men

    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 11, 2013
      Ralph, I'm currently about the same place as you I think but I've been alternating my source of high quality protein to vary between: Organic Grass-fed, casein-free Whey; Plant Protein Powder; and alternating (only about 2-3 times a week) forms of animal protein (lamb, chicken, salmon, beef).  So I can go a couple of days a week without any killed-then cooked animal protein (whey is not such).  But on the JMT, I've already packaged my food and it includes freeze-dried animal protein and Tankabites (a blend of half bison jerky and dried fruit), plus alternating forms of grass-fed whey protein and plant protein powder.  I fly to CA tomorrow and my food is about 40-30-30 (calories percentages, carbs, fat/protein) and averaging 2170 calories a day for an average hiking of 8.6 miles a day.  I'll be out on the JMT 28 days.  Hope to see many of you on the trail!

      I start Wednesday but will be doing some day hiking and acclimatizing before then.  I have friends who live in Mammoth Lakes (they used to be big hikers in upstate NY).

      But Campbell's book is so interesting and revolutionary in a sense, kind of like Copernicus.  I definitely want to read a whole lot more to learn more.  I would like to know more about the diets of top athletes who are vegetarian particularly those whose diet is India-Paleo if such a term can be depicted.
      _

      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM, straw_marmot <ralphbge@...> wrote:

      I don't know where you come out of all this, but my conclusion was that a good plan was that the smart plan from a purely health perspective (i.e. independent of any animal welfare issues) was to increase the proportion of my diet that's plant-based quite considerably, but to continue to eat high quality animal products in moderation.

      Ralph
    • Jim White
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 14, 2013
        Added up our meat... Salmon jerky, beef jerky, beef sticks, bacon jerky, dried buffalo (Tanka), dried ground beef, dried ground pork sausage...

        Approx 20 pounds and $400+ for four of us on a 25 day hike plan.

        If that isn't enough protein, hopefully the 5 dozen dehydrated eggs will help.

        100 person x days of food is a daunting planning task.

        Jim