Re: [John Muir Trail] 0.4 lb weight loss per day leads to loss of strength and feeling less energetic in lean, active young men

    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 11, 2013
      I just finished a super interesting book, (audiobook form)

      Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition [Hardcover]
      T. Colin Campbell (Author), Howard Jacobson (Contributor)

      Anyway, he mentions where Casein has been proven to be cancer-causing.  The whey protein I get is casein-free, but a lot of milk protein products contains Casein.  I'd look at the labels on what you choose.  This book is very, very interesting too.  Making me rethink my stance on "whole plant based foods" which is the term he prefers over vegetarian.

      I'm glad I'm mixing in my protein source with plant protein powder too and have found two good brands so far:
      Vega Sport Performance Protein, Berry flavored (vegasport.com)
      Plant Fusion Vanilla Bean Plant Protein (plantfusion.net)

      The EnergyFirst casein-free whey protein is at EnergyFirst.com

      _

    • Jim White
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 14, 2013
        Added up our meat... Salmon jerky, beef jerky, beef sticks, bacon jerky, dried buffalo (Tanka), dried ground beef, dried ground pork sausage...

        Approx 20 pounds and $400+ for four of us on a 25 day hike plan.

        If that isn't enough protein, hopefully the 5 dozen dehydrated eggs will help.

        100 person x days of food is a daunting planning task.

        Jim