Re: [John Muir Trail] 0.4 lb weight loss per day leads to loss of strength and feeling less energetic in lean, active young men

    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 11, 2013
      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM, john_friend <yahoo@...> wrote:

      we got there by adding a 20g protein bar (Cliff Builders) to each mid-day's meal and that pushed us up to the desired level.

      I appreciated John's suggestion of protein supplementation. Another member also suggested the Builder's Bars to me off-board. The comments prompted me to prowl a collection of protein-rich bars at a nearby store. I noticed this

      Builder's Choc Peanut Butter was 29.3% protein by weight and 112 per cal.oz

      The only one slightly better on these measures that I could find was

      PureFit Peanut Butter Choc Chip 31.5% protein by weight and 115 calories per oz.

      The Builders Bars are a bit bigger (both volume and weight) and therefore deliver more protein per bar (20 grams vs 18) though less protein for unit weight carried.

      It seems to me that these are close enough that the choice is probably dictated by whichever tastes best.

      Both brands seems worth considering, at least if your calorie deficit is such that it leads to a weight loss of 3 lbs per week or more (the subjects in the study lost 8.4 over 3 weeks). In that case, you might want to boost protein to minimize the muscle mass and strength losses found in the study that started this thread.

      I also think the suggestion of adding protein powder to a hot breakfast is intriguing. Roleigh first brought up the protein powder option.

      For me at least, I'd rather to avoid the risk of muscle mass loss by bringing adequate calories, but if you decide to carry fewer calories (or can't make yourself eat all the food you carry) I think protein supplementation is a promising strategy.

      I don't know that protein supplementation would address the 6% average deterioration in the endurance measure noted in the experiment, nor the reported subjective feeling being "less energetic" near the end of the 3-week calorie restricted diet, but it might well help on loss of lean body mass and the reported lost in strength.

    • Jim White
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 14, 2013
        Added up our meat... Salmon jerky, beef jerky, beef sticks, bacon jerky, dried buffalo (Tanka), dried ground beef, dried ground pork sausage...

        Approx 20 pounds and $400+ for four of us on a 25 day hike plan.

        If that isn't enough protein, hopefully the 5 dozen dehydrated eggs will help.

        100 person x days of food is a daunting planning task.

        Jim