Mild Panic - Bear canister delivery "delayed"

  • stolv
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 9, 2013
      Hi all,

      I'm flying to SFO (from Europe) in less than 48 hrs (arriving there on Friday) and REI has just emailed me that the delivery of my bear canister to the store in Berkeley "is delayed". So I'm a bit worried now...

      The order page still says (as it did the last days):

      Shipped from our Pennsylvania distribution center via REI Truck on 07/03/2013. Expected arrival date at REI Store, Berkeley, CA is on or before Thursday, 07/11/2013.

      So I still hope that it will arrive in time (I'm in Berkeley until Sunday) but probably won't find out until I'm in the store on Friday afternoon. What's your experience with those estimated deadlines? The second order I placed has been delivered faster than they said, but I guess those were in-stock items.

      If I don't hold the canister in my hands by Saturday afternoon I'll have to start thinking about alternatives.

      A safe option is of course renting a Garcia 812 in Yosemite. However, it's slightly smaller than the BV500 I ordered and I would need to hike the part from MTR a day faster than planned (which would not be a big problem, though)

      Any ideas where I could buy (or maybe rent/borrow) a BV500 (or similar) in the Berkeley/SF area on short notice? It seems to be out of stock at REI, so that's probably the case also at other places?

      Best regards,
      Gert

      P.S. I'm convinced this will work out one way or the other and I'm already excited about my sobo hike starting at July 16th from Glacier Point!
    • shawn peterson
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
        Call the Dublin REI store and I saw them on the shelf there two days ago.  If BART is over its little strike you can BART it to Dublin and get it.  You can also try Sport's Chalet.....

        If not...you can borrow my Garcia for free.  I live 20 minutes from Berkeley in San Ramon.  I am waiting on a back ordered Bearikade.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
          REI shows the BV500 in stock at several REI stores in the area. Corte Madera (13 mi from Berkeley) is the closest one. It's also in stock at the store by me in Mountain View (an hour from Berkeley). REI won't do store transfers, but you could go to the Corte Madera store to buy one there.

          I also own a BV500 which I won't be using. I'm renting a Bearikade for my JMT thru hike that starts on 7/13 (we leave the Bay Area early morning of 7/13 for our hike - also starting from Glacier Point).

          You could borrow my BV500, but I'm not sure how to work the logistics of getting it to you and back to me (I live in Los Altos - about an hour from Berkeley, 40 mins from SFO).

          --John

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
            Thanks for your responses - the members of this group are just great!

            If "my" BV500 really late I'll try to get one at a nearby store (I'm sure, REI Berkeley can give me up-to-date information on that)

            John, if all fails I'd really like to borrow yours. I have a rental car and can come pick it up. I've sent you a message!

            Best regards - now less panicked ;)
            Gert

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                What a great group! It's heartwarming to see that we won't let Gert miss his start date, no matter what.

                Inga Aksamit
                Mobile: 415-470-1812
                Email: Iaksamit@...
                Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
                About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
              • Joe MacLeish
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                  Shawn:

                  Coincidence?  I live in San Ramon, I also have a free Garcia  for whoever wants to use it, and I just received my weekender Bearikade.

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                    I think you're confused. There are two BearVault models, the BV450 and BV500. The BV500 is 700 cubic inches so perhaps that's where the notion of 700 came from.

                    http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_details.php

                    --John

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                      Gert:

                      REI Berkeley has 4 of them (BV 500).  I put one on hold for you (under Gert).  they will hold it until close of business tomorrow night (Thursday)

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                        Oops I just noticed you are not here til Friday.  Wait one.

                        Joe

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                          Gert:

                          they have it on hold now thru Sat.  If you aren't going to get it please call REI Berkeley and cancel it.

                          Joe

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                            Hey Joe,

                            How funny....I'm out at the last stop light in town bollinger and crow canyon above deerwood.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                              Hey Joe,

                              I ordered a bearikade, was charged as they say they will upon ordering, about 3 weeks ago.  I called last week and they said they were waiting on their shipment but gave me no date on expected delivery.  They asked me when I was leaving and I told them August....they followed up with August when?

                              That made me nervous at first but seeing you got yours puts me at ease.  I've had my heart set on carrying the lower weight this year and I do not want to ever carry this garcia again if i can help it lol!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                                I'm around the corner up off Bollinger.  Bollinger Hills .  I am at 2529 Wildhorse Drive just above Bollinger at Paddock.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                                  Shawn:

                                  I've been renting them so long Alan knows my name almost from my voice.  I probably paid for one twice over by now.  I just decided to buy it this year and be done with it.  they are pretty good.  If he says you'll have it on day x you will.  Mine was in stock and I had it in about three days.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                                    Thanks for the reassurance!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                                      I love this side of San Ramon....the fog in the evening is great!

                                      Maybe we will have to do a Las Trampas route in the fall...

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "stolv" <gert2005@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi all,
                                        >
                                        > I'm flying to SFO (from Europe) in less than 48 hrs (arriving there on Friday) and REI has just emailed me that the delivery of my bear canister to the store in Berkeley "is delayed". So I'm a bit worried now...

                                        I just ordered one from Amazon. You could order for overnight or Saturday delivery if the other options don't pan out. Sure, it'll cost you extra....
                                      • Joe MacLeish
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                                          I called REI today.  They have 4 in the store and I put one (BV 500) on hold for you until Saturday

                                          Joe

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013
                                            Hi Joe & all!

                                            Wow! I'm just overwhelmed by the support received by the members of this group!

                                            THANKS A LOT to ALL of you! I've also received offers to borrow a BearVault, a Bearikade and a Garcia off-board! Thanks again!

                                            After arriving at SFO on Friday I will drive right up to REI Berkeley pick up either the one on hold or the one I ordered (if it's there already) and cancel the other one.

                                            I will sleep much better now for the last night before flying to the US!

                                            Best regards & thanks again!
                                            Gert

                                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                                            > Gert:
                                            >
                                            > they have it on hold now thru Sat. If you aren't going to get it please
                                            > call REI Berkeley and cancel it.
                                            >
                                            > Joe

                                          • Joe MacLeish
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 10, 2013

                                              Gert:

                                              if you can really get a Bearikade (like a Weekender) its lighter and holds a bit more than a BV 500.  It's usually pricier but if you can get it for free grab it.

                                              Joe