New trail runners?

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9 3:17 PM
      With my planned hikes prior to the JMT, I expect to have around 200 miles on my trail runners (Cascadia 7) by the time I start on the JMT. Would it be unreasonable to expect 450-500 miles on the shoes before they fall apart? I would hate to start having to patch them up with duct tape somewhere south of MTR or figuring out at Red's that they won't last and having to go into Mammoth to visit the outfitter. If I buy new trail runners now, I could get some miles on them before the trip and use the remaining life of my current shoes on shorter hikes.

      The one thing I really miss about using my boots is that I never had to worry about them falling apart after several hundred miles like trail runners.
    • shawn peterson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9 3:38 PM
        I have the cascadia 7's as well...if they are in decent shape then use em and they will be fine as long as the seams, soles, and lugs are in good shape.

        The Cascadia 8's are not my cup of tea...the montrail mountain masochist has a funky arch practically under my arch, the wildcats have a rubber toe cap that flick the end of my toes with every step, and the raptors were not comfortable either...what does all this mean....stick with what you have and what works...otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out trying to fix something or pick something in a hurry.  I have been happy so far though with the speedcross......but they aren't anything like my cascadia 7's.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9 3:59 PM
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, shawn peterson <pdawg893@...> wrote:

          > I have the cascadia 7's as well...if they are in decent shape then use em and they will be fine as long as the seams, soles, and lugs are in good shape.

          They seem to be fine at the moment but I'm not sure how fast trail runners degrade. I know that I can usually get around 500 miles out of road running shoes before they start breaking down but not that sure about what the JMT will do to shoes.

          I would get another pair of 7s if I decide to go with new shoes (7s still available on a few sites). I wouldn't even want to risk switching from the 7s to 8s so close to the hike since there are some differences.