Re: [John Muir Trail] Another clothing question for 7/14 start

  • kconrad92029
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
      I agree with John on this one! I don't bring a lot of extra clothes so I was really happy to have my rain pants to wear last year on the trail when it came time to do laundry. I'm also a cold sleeper so there were a few nights at high altitude when throwing on the extra layer made a huge difference in how I slept. I'd drop something else before I gave up that 8oz! (I know... they aren't even the light ones but they fit and I like them)

      See you on the JMT!!

      KC
    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013

        Yay!! I forgot that one.  I have my rain pants to do the laundry - shorts can stay home - 3.3 oz.  Maybe I can break 33 lbs.

        Joe

        I agree with John on this one! I don't bring a lot of extra clothes so I was really happy to have my rain pants to wear last year on the trail when it came time to do laundry. I'm also a cold sleeper so there were a few nights at high altitude when throwing on the extra layer made a huge difference in how I slept. I'd drop something else before I gave up that 8oz! (I know... they aren't even the light ones but they fit and I like them)

        See you on the JMT!!

        KC

      • Don Amundson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
          33 lbs.  Yikes.  Get some wind pants.  Montebell Dynamos 2.6 oz. and much more versatile.  Bring your 3.3 oz shorts to hike in and forget the long pants.

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: jmacleish@...
          Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 19:24:12 -0700

          Yay!! I forgot that one.  I have my rain pants to do the laundry - shorts can stay home - 3.3 oz.  Maybe I can break 33 lbs.

          Joe

        • johnlowe2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
            Did a south-north from Devil's Postpile - Yosemite Valley this past weekend and your clothing selection seems about right. It did rain around us, and some people got pummeled near the summits. Avoid those in the early afternoons if possible. Convertible pants are a good choice because of added protection from wind and dry out quick in the rain. They are also a good layer if you need to sleep in them. Nights were cool, so it depends on your sleeping arrangements - i.e. a tent and sleeping bag. The pants came in handy for the mosquitos and the rain jacket helped with the cool breezes in the evening.
            -JL

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "trixhiker" <tiffhiker@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone! I'm working on the last-minute details for my trip that's coming up next weekend (as well as driving up to look for an apartment in the East Bay area - anyone know of anything?!) and have read through some of the recent posts about clothing and gear lists. I realize that clothing choices are very subjective, but I'd really like to combo up the clothing options in layers rather than take single-use items.
            >
            > For example, would a midweight top and a synthetic REI vest topped with a rain jacket work rather than taking a down jacket? Would the down really be necessary (understanding that weather/temps could change in an instant in the mountains)?
            >
            > Also, are rain pants truly needed? I was planning on taking base layer tights and convertible hiking pants, so I figured they'd dry out fairly easily on the trail if they got wet. I know days of rain are rather uncommon, although thunderstorms could obviously blow in whenever.
            >
            > Getting excited.....really, really appreciate all of the info everyone posts!
            >
            > Thanks for all of the help!
            > Tiffani

          • Larry Beck
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
              Just completed the North Lake to South Lake Loop starting out at North Lake on Thursday morning July 4th and exiting at South Lake on Sunday afternoon July 7th. Our itinerary was:

              Description                                                Miles        Elev gain    Elev loss
              Day 1 North Lake to Hutchison Meadow           11.5 miles  +2217 ft    -2050 ft (climbed over Piute Pass at ~11.5K)
              Day 2 Hutchison Meadow to Evolution Lake      15.1 miles  +2363 ft    -1793 ft
              Day 3 Evolution Meadow to Little Pete Meadow  15.6 miles  +2030 ft    -3208 ft (climbed over Muir Pass at ~12K)
              Day 4 Little Pete Meadow to South Lake           11.8 miles  +3342 ft     -2316 ft (climbed over Muir Pass at ~12K)
              I've never done this loop before but I have the impression that going counter clockwise North Lake to South Lake might be a little easier but only marginally. I'd say our toughest day was day 2. Even though it didn't go over a pass it was still a long slog (15 miles) mostly up hill. Sunday was definitely tough though climbing up out of Leconte Valley and going up to Dusy Basin and then over Bishop Pass. I've always heard that Bishop Pass is 5 miles from South Lake but it feels longer.
              There is a 30 ft patch of snow on fairly level ground on the South Lake side of Bishop Pass that we walked through easily. No other snow encountered.
              Plenty of water - Some in the group never carried more than a single liter.
              There were lots of water crossings but all were easily passed over bridges, rocks and/or logs except for Evolution Creek. The water was mid thigh high so we needed to take the boots off and walk across in our camp shoes/water shoes. The current was not dangerous and the water wasn't even that cold. It was a very nice treat for the day :)
              Larry