Re: Which trail to take from Glen pass to Kearsarge first lake?

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8 9:59 AM
      Another vote for the upper, ( northern ), trail. I have no idea if its shorter or not to Kearsarge Lakes, but it is more scenic! It is definitely shorter for a Kearsarge Pass/Onion Valley exit. It is a pretty short distance from the junction heading over Kearsarge Pass/Kearsarge Lakes that the backtrack is minimal and downhill.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

      > Last year I went down all the way to Bullfrog lake while south bound on JMT and then took the Kearsarge lakes trail from JMT. At that point the JMT sign said 3.0 miles to Kearsarge Lakes. I wondered that if I took the first left turn trail before reaching the Charlotte lake trail, it would have been a lot less hiking before I reach first Kearsarge lake camp ground.
      >
      > Which trail you normally take if you are exiting for Onion Valley or having a rendezvous with another hiker who is bringing your food to the first Kearsarge lake camp ground. I no longer believe in the distances shown in the NG map # 205. Usually they are different from what the JMY sign says!
      >
      > Appreciate any info.
      >
      > Krishna

    • krishna9012
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8 10:56 AM
        John:
        Thanks! That really makes sense - SB uppper and NB Lower!!!

        Great pics of the cabin. Is this cabin visible from the JMT or do we need to make a detour to visit this cabin?
        Krishna

        > Krishna
        > FWIW, I always use the upper trail if coming from (or going to) the
        > north. The lower trail if going to (coming from) the south. Something
        > about dropping a couple hundred feet before climbing toward the pass
        > that makes it psychologically challenging for me. You'll have to drop
        > that same amount from the high trail to Kearsarge Lakes.
        > The upper trail has a fantastic view of East Vidette that I wouldn't
        > want to miss (see WTS pg 95 for similar view). I would take the upper
        > trail out, lower trail back to see both, you will miss absolutely
        > nothing in the ~1 mile of JMT you miss.
        > See my album for Muir Trail cabin photos
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/photos/album/1621106713/pic/\
        > list
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/photos/album/1621106713/pic\
        > /list>
        > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
        > <http://www.johndittli.com>
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" wrote:
        > >
        > > Roleigh:
        > > Thanks! Looks like the Bullfrog lake trail is the shorter one! One q
        > on the John Muir trail Cabin at mile 109.5. This is the first time I
        > really looked closely at the map. This is also indicated in Erik's JMT
        > atlas on page 22. Does any one have photos of this place? Just west of
        > the Muir rock!
        > > Krishna
        > >
        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin roleigh@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > We have a blowup (with author's permission) of the JMT to
        > OnionValley TH
        > > > here - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/files/Maps/
        > > >
        > > > I've gone to Kearsarge Lake both ways (upper trail and lower trail),
        > hard
        > > > to say which is harder/easier. Tempted to tell you to go the
        > Bullfrog Lake
        > > > trail as it has to be shorter.

        > > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
        > > > links)
        > > > _

        > bound on
        > point the JMT
        > the first
        > have
        > ground.

        > or
        > to the
        > distances
        > the JMY

      • John
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8 11:09 AM
          The cabin can be seen from the trail, but it's quite difficult as it is hidden in the woods, on the right, SoBo.

          John
        • Don Amundson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8 11:20 AM

            Difficult to see is right!  Last year I approached it from the south. My hiking partner had a GPS unit that I borrowed to try and find the cabin.  I'm walking off trail looking at the indicated map location on the GPS and saying it's supposed to be right here. I looked up and about hit the cabin wall.  Look for faint use trails when you get in the area.

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: johndittli@...
            Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 18:09:15 +0000
            Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Which trail to take from Glen pass to Kearsarge first lake?