Re: [John Muir Trail] 0.4 lb weight loss per day leads to loss of strength and feeling less energetic in lean, active young men

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 8, 2013
      We're headed SOBO starting next weekend and have managed a 3000 calorie/day food plan with 90-100g of protein/day and it's all vegan too (no meat or dairy).  The weight comes in around 1.5lb/day.  As the menu came together we found ourselves short of our goal of 100g of protein/day even after beefing up the beans, nuts, peanut butter and powdered hummus as much as we thought we could.  So, in the end we got there by adding a 20g protein bar (Cliff Builders) to each mid-day's meal and that pushed us up to the desired level.

      --John

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:

      > On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Roleigh Martin roleigh@... wrote:
      >
      > > I definitely think they deprived themselves of adequate protein when doing
      > > that much exercise.
      >

      > The researchers justified their chosen level of protein as follows:
      >
      > "Protein intake was set at ... 1.2 g [per] kg [of body weight per] day
      > [which] is
      > 1.5 times the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) but representative of
      > normal protein consumption rates for young, fit men."
      >
      > It is true that in obese subjects, muscle mass has been shown to be better
      > maintained on CR diets if they eat *2 times* the RDA rather than *1.5 times*
      > .
      > So increased protein, as Roleigh suggests, might have helped.
      >
      > But in terms of duplicating what happens to us on trail, it is not easy all
      > that
      > easy to eat more protein than the 85 grams these guys were eating while
      > on their CR diet (85 g = 3 oz). I suspect most people carrying in the range
      > of
      > 2500-3000 calories per day don'r have even the 3 oz of protein these guys
      > were consuming.
      >
      > 3 oz. is the amount of protein in in 7 oz. of beef jerky or 14 oz. of
      > peanut butter,
      > which are among the higher protein things we take.
      >
      > It's hard to get protein at breakfast and most commercially dinners don't
      > have
      > all that much protein to make up for a shortfall at other meals. Unless you
      > eat a lot
      > of jerky or peanut butter at lunch, or something similar, you probably
      > aren't over
      > 3 oz. of protein.
      >
      > According to REI, Backpacker's Pantry Louisiana Red Beans and Rice has 24
      > grams of protein
      > (less than an ounce) even if you eat both of the claimed 2 Servings. Their
      > Chicken Cashew Curry
      > has 34 grams (1.2 ounce) if you eat both servings. I chose those two
      > largely at random
      > and plenty of the choices have less.
      >
      > Backpacker's Pantry Louisiana Red Beans and Rice has 24 grams of protein
      > (less than an ounce) even
      > if you eat both of the claimed 2 Servings. Their Chicken Cashew Curry 34
      > grams (a bit over an ounce)
      > if you eat both servings. I chose those two largely at random and plenty of
      > the choices have less.
      >
      > Other vegetarian options I looked at had 8-18 grams of protein per serving
      > and a random assortment
      > of non-vegetarian items I checked had 11-18 (beef) and 14-19 (chicken). So
      > even eating double
      > servings, its hard to get much more than an ounce of protein out of
      > commercial backpacker prepared dinners.
      > (there are 28.3 grams in an ounce)
      >
      > I'm not saying that increasing protein might not help, just that it is
      > somewhat hard for us to have as much protein
      > as has been proven protective of skeletal muscle mass in obese subjects on
> [...]
    • Jim White
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 14, 2013
        Added up our meat... Salmon jerky, beef jerky, beef sticks, bacon jerky, dried buffalo (Tanka), dried ground beef, dried ground pork sausage...

        Approx 20 pounds and $400+ for four of us on a 25 day hike plan.

        If that isn't enough protein, hopefully the 5 dozen dehydrated eggs will help.

        100 person x days of food is a daunting planning task.

        Jim