Re: JMT between MTR Cutoff Trails

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
      Since I am spending one night at MTR, I could leave my pack there and do the ~4 mile loop a a trail run without risking my pack. But after actually arriving at MTR it might be hard to get motivated with the hot springs being right there ... So maybe continuing south on the JMT after the north cutoff and going the "long way around" via the Southern cutoff makes the most sense.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
        Bill, when you got to Tuolumne Meadows on your purist JMT hike, did you cross the highway and temporarily go North of TM before doing the loop back onto the JMT.  The purist JMT hike does that, but I know very few JMT hikers who do that segment of the JMT north of TM.
        _

        On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

        My thru-hike last year was done with a "purist" approach.  I wanted to make sure I covered every foot of the JMT proper :).  So I did climb back up the short cutoff out of MTR rather than taking the other route.

        Now that I've done that I'd probably go the other way on a future thru-hike where "doing every bit of the formal trail" isn't so important ...

        It all depends on your priorities ...

        John Ladd wrote:

        On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:
        The alternative of hiking up the (steep) north cut-off back to the JMT after a resupply with my heaviest pack of the trip only to head south downhill to the southern cut-off seems quite unappealing and probably something that relatively few hikers would do.

        That uphill is a killer and I found it exhausting the one time I did it with a full pack.

        If you want to pick up that section, I suggest that you hike the Florence Lake Trail south from MTR to the JMT So cutoff, leave your pack there, and hike or speedhike the 3.4 MI roundtrip to the No Cutoff and back again. It would be longer, of course, but way less hard.