JMT between MTR Cutoff Trails

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
      I believe that many Southbound JMT hikers take the north cutoff to MTR and then take the south cutoff to rejoin the JMT. The Harrison map set indicates that this would result in missing 1.7 miles of the JMT. Has anyone hiked that section? Any opinions on what the scenery is like along the way?

      It would probably bother me to miss that section. I'm thinking that on the day that I arrive at MTR I will skip the northern cutoff and continue the 1.7 miles to the south cut-off and then backtrack to MTR. Result would be 2.3 extra miles that day. Probably an additional hour or so. I will have a light pack at that time heading into a resupply. And I will probably be starting from Sallie Keyes Lake that day so I would still get into MTR early in the day.

      The alternative of hiking up the (steep) north cut-off back to the JMT after a resupply with my heaviest pack of the trip only to head south downhill to the southern cut-off seems quite unappealing and probably something that relatively few hikers would do.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013

        On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:
        The alternative of hiking up the (steep) north cut-off back to the JMT after a resupply with my heaviest pack of the trip only to head south downhill to the southern cut-off seems quite unappealing and probably something that relatively few hikers would do.

        That uphill is a killer and I found it exhausting the one time I did it with a full pack.

        If you want to pick up that section, I suggest that you hike the Florence Lake Trail south from MTR to the JMT So cutoff, leave your pack there, and hike or speedhike the 3.4 MI roundtrip to the No Cutoff and back again. It would be longer, of course, but way less hard.

      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013

          > If you want to pick up that section, I suggest that you hike the Florence
          > Lake Trail south from MTR to the JMT So cutoff, leave your pack there, and
          > hike or speedhike the 3.4 MI roundtrip to the No Cutoff and back again. It
          > would be longer, of course, but way less hard.

          That's a great idea. I will get to MTR in mid to late morning and have all afternoon so plenty of time to hike or do a trail run without a pack!
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
            I guess another approach headed SoBo would be to keep on the JMT past the North cutoff to the So cutoff (with the pack) and then take a hairpin turn North on Florence Lake trail to go to MTR. You would end up doing MTR to So Junction twice and miss the No Cutoff trail, but even on the downhill the No Cutoff trail is nothing special. It's so steep that you have to keep your feet on the ground a lot.

            I think either of these would be an improvement over doing the No cutoff trail twice, esp. the return uphill

            On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

            > If you want to pick up that section, I suggest that you hike the Florence
            > Lake Trail south from MTR to the JMT So cutoff, leave your pack there, and
            > hike or speedhike the 3.4 MI roundtrip to the No Cutoff and back again. It
            > would be longer, of course, but way less hard.

            That's a great idea. I will get to MTR in mid to late morning and have all afternoon so plenty of time to hike or do a trail run without a pack!

          • drj4507
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
              Ravi, I like your original plan of "taking the long way around". Maybe it's just my paranoia, but I would never leave my pack unattended for any length of time. Too many furry critters, big and small, lurking in the woods. There are any number of stories out there about bears sneaking up on an unsuspecting hiker taking a break, and snatching their pack from two feet away. I encountered a couple of crestfallen hikers near the Half Dome junction that had just been so victimized. When I take a "pack off" break, the pack goes between my legs and I make sure I have good sight lines for situational awareness. Lose your food to a bear or marmot on the trail, and other hikers will have to alter their plans to sustain you.
              Dr J

              > I believe that many Southbound JMT hikers take the north cutoff to MTR and then take the south cutoff to rejoin the JMT. The Harrison map set indicates that this would result in missing 1.7 miles of the JMT. Has anyone hiked that section? Any opinions on what the scenery is like along the way?
              >
              > It would probably bother me to miss that section. I'm thinking that on the day that I arrive at MTR I will skip the northern cutoff and continue the 1.7 miles to the south cut-off and then backtrack to MTR. Result would be 2.3 extra miles that day. Probably an additional hour or so. I will have a light pack at that time heading into a resupply. And I will probably be starting from Sallie Keyes Lake that day so I would still get into MTR early in the day.
              >
              > The alternative of hiking up the (steep) north cut-off back to the JMT after a resupply with my heaviest pack of the trip only to head south downhill to the southern cut-off seems quite unappealing and probably something that relatively few hikers would do.

            • Bill Heiser
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                My thru-hike last year was done with a "purist" approach.  I wanted to make sure I covered every foot of the JMT proper :).  So I did climb back up the short cutoff out of MTR rather than taking the other route.

                Now that I've done that I'd probably go the other way on a future thru-hike where "doing every bit of the formal trail" isn't so important ...

                It all depends on your priorities ...

                John Ladd wrote:

                On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:
                The alternative of hiking up the (steep) north cut-off back to the JMT after a resupply with my heaviest pack of the trip only to head south downhill to the southern cut-off seems quite unappealing and probably something that relatively few hikers would do.

                That uphill is a killer and I found it exhausting the one time I did it with a full pack.

                If you want to pick up that section, I suggest that you hike the Florence Lake Trail south from MTR to the JMT So cutoff, leave your pack there, and hike or speedhike the 3.4 MI roundtrip to the No Cutoff and back again. It would be longer, of course, but way less hard.

              • Joe MacLeish
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013

                  That little piece of trail that you miss is really nothing special.  It's just a steep sandy downhill in the woods - just like the previous couple of miles.  Me, I go straight to the MTR, load up and then straight into the Park.  I doubt anybody would say I didn't do the JMT if I missed that little piece.

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                    On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM, drj4507 <drj4507@...> wrote:
                    Maybe it's just my paranoia, but I would never leave my pack unattended for any length of time. Too many furry critters, big and small, lurking in the woods.

                    Good point and not paranoid. I shuold nave been more carful in my post.

                    If you do chose to leave a pack, as I do occasionally for side trips, take all food out of it and put it in the bearcan, which should be away from the pack. I don't think theft is a problem near the JMT MTR cuutoffs, but hungry critters are. Strictly speaking, you should do the same thing whenever the pack is much more than an arms length away, as when you are pulling water, though few probably do that with regularity.

                    Might be a good idea to hang the food-free pack up far enough off the ground that animals in search of salt don't chew on the salty parts of the back like the shoulder harness and waist belt. Rodents and deer the big problem here.

                  • ravi_jmt2013
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                      Since I am spending one night at MTR, I could leave my pack there and do the ~4 mile loop a a trail run without risking my pack. But after actually arriving at MTR it might be hard to get motivated with the hot springs being right there ... So maybe continuing south on the JMT after the north cutoff and going the "long way around" via the Southern cutoff makes the most sense.