Sending gear to Tuolumne?

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
      I'm working on planning out my resupply packages today. It occurred to me that maybe I could lighten my pack further for the first segment by shipping colder weather gear to Tuolumne. Has anyone done this?

      My thinking is that gear like my down parka, down socks, warm cap, and gloves are definitely not going to be needed camping out for a couple of nights in Yosemite Valley in late August. I doubt they will be needed at my first night camp at around 7,200 feet. Only concern is whether Cathedral Lakes area would get cold enough to make any of this gear needed.

      This idea would only save about a pound so maybe this isn't worth considering but I'm curious whether anyone has done this. I figure that the more I can do to make the first segment to Tuolumne easy the better in terms of easing into the elevation and hiking routine.
    • Bill Heiser
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
        I doubt you'll need a down parka or down socks at any point on the trip if you're going in August.  A light down sweater is useful (was useful for me) in the later/higher elevation section in August.  But a parka seems like overkill unless you tend to feel cold.

        When does your trip start?  If it's early August it seems unlikely you'll need the warm weather gear (except maybe the hat) anywhere in Yosemite.

        ** disclaimer:  you didn't say what other clothes you'll be bringing to keep you warm if the temp is down to 40-ish at night...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

          > I doubt you'll need a down parka or down socks at any point on the trip
          > if you're going in August. A light down sweater is useful (was useful
          > for me) in the later/higher elevation section in August. But a parka
          > seems like overkill unless you tend to feel cold.

          My GP permit is for August 27 although I plan to try for a HI permit that may require me to leave a day earlier. Planning to finish up sometime between September 14-16 depending on my pace after MTR so I expect that I will need the colder weather gear during the second half of the trip given the higher elevations and pushing into September.
        • Frank D
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
            There is a small chance that your resupply package won't be there. That gear would be hard to replace. Is it worth saving that pound on the climb up when your food weight will be low.

            Snap