Re: JMT alternate entry points - Allowed but frowned on

  • scott.nelson53
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 6, 2013
      I wonder if the lack of enthusiasm for some JMT hikers might stem from the few hikers who show up wanting to hike the JMT because it is famous and will be a great "achievement".  There has got to be a few folks who show up to tick the JMT off their bucket list who are not prepared or experienced enough and wind up needing Park resources to bail them out.  I know the people who would read this group are not those people- but we know they are out there.  I was struck by how different the general mood hiking up Whitney from Lone Pine felt.  Fewer folks were there to enjoy where they actually where.  More folks were there to achieve a "goal" and had not done the preparation the wilderness requires to respect it and deal well with it.  How many wag bags are left under rocks?  How many folks are dragged down by their friends?  I remember meeting a guy at Trail Crest with a windbreaker, an igloo jug, and otherwise looking like he just stepped off a metro bus.  The idea of hiking the JMT must attract a lot of folks that would be better off, (and have more fun) doing an easier hike.   I recall a permit issuing ranger having to repeatedly tell an applicant that he couldn't plan their hike for them.  The applicant wanted the Ranger to take all the responsibility for the hike over from them- how far to hike, were to camp, where to get water, will there be bears?, will there be bugs?  will it be crowded? safety, etc.etc.  If I worked that Visitor Center Desk and gave out permits all day to folks who clearly weren't ready to hike their intended route, I might get frustrated and even take it out on the next guy in line, not the newbie.   Maybe show a little compassion for the guy or gal in the Smokey hat.
      -Scott
    • Robert
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 7, 2013
        Oops! I meant to say scare THEM off, but I was posting before heading out the door: ) !