Re: Water near Sunrise High Sierra Camp?

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
      Thanks Bob. That looks like it could be a pretty dry stretch from the last water on Sunrise Creek to Cathedral Lakes - maybe as much as 6-7 miles. It sounds like we may have a dry camp if we want to go a few miles short of Sunrise and have to top off as long as we see water in Sunrise Creek.

      --John

      > Without fail over the past fifteen years or so, there have been two constant water sources just past the HD junction--this is sunrise creek. I would recommend drinking up and filling up at both opportunities as it is a long hot climb up, over and down to Sunrise Camp.
      >
      > In spite of the map showing sunrise going all the way up and terminating on the right side just at the switchbacks, this is usually just a trickle and will no doubt be pretty dry this year. Last year there was apparently no water at sunrise, but since I'd brought water all the way from the sources near the HD junction, I didn't stop to check it out.
      > The next sure source of water is cathedral lake, where again, I'd drink up and fill up.
      >
      > Bob Shattuck
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Byron Nevins
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
        I was at Sunrise last year in late August and it was dry as a bone.
        After careful hunting I found some funky-looking but good-tasting water
        half a mile away. The High Sierra camp was hauling all their water in
        by mule.
      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Byron Nevins <byron.nevins@...> wrote:

          > I was at Sunrise last year in late August and it was dry as a bone.
          > After careful hunting I found some funky-looking but good-tasting water
          > half a mile away. The High Sierra camp was hauling all their water in
          > by mule.

          I'm planning to camp above the Cloud's Rest junction on night #1 and at Cathedral Lakes on night #2, a distance of 10.5 miles. I have found that I typically go through a 700 ml water bottle in 2 hours hiking about 2.5 mph. If I load up with 3L of water leaving camp, does that seem like enough water to get to Cathedral Lakes assuming Sunrise is dry for my hike in late August (maybe a good assumption if last year was dry). That would be my two 700 ml bottles plus a 2L Platypus to providing a little bit of extra water if needed. I'm not terribly concerned about the extra weight on that segment since I will have little food remaining - just dinner for that evening and breakfast for the next morning before picking up a resupply at Tuolumne.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
            3 liters would be easily enough for me on a 10.5 mile stretch, even with a fair amount of heat. I could get away with less, but I probably wouldn't take the chance on a hot day. I tend to get nasty leg cramps inside sleeping bag at night if I don't fully hydrate during the day. Besides, you will still be altitude acclimating on this stretch, so full hydration is good and probably worth the arguably unnecessary weight.