Clothing Question

  • stoltan15
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
      A buddy and I are starting our JMT hike from HI trailhead on 7/13. In an attempt to pare down my pack weight (I am currently at 28lbs with food for first leg to Reds) I am debating on whether I need to pack my longsleeve Merino wool shirt. Currently I am carrying a short sleeve merino wool shirt, a poly short sleeve shirt, a down jacket, a rain jacket, and the long sleeve merino wool shirt. If daytime temps aren't super cold, I typically hike in the short sleeves and put on the down in camp. With the mosquito factor for the JMT, I wonder if I might need the longsleeve merino to provide some bite protection? So my quandary is: should I pack the longsleeve or not? Any opinions from experience JMT'ers would be welcomed :)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
        I typically take only longsleeve items, permethrin treated. They protect the arms from both sun (reducing sunscreen use) and mosquitoes (reducing DEET use). I just never seem to find it uncomfortable to walk in a longsleeve as long as it is a light fabric (e.g., silkweight baselayer or sunshirt like the REI Sahara shirt)

        On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM, stoltan15 <bob.larimore@...> wrote:

        A buddy and I are starting our JMT hike from HI trailhead on 7/13. In an attempt to pare down my pack weight (I am currently at 28lbs with food for first leg to Reds) I am debating on whether I need to pack my longsleeve Merino wool shirt. Currently I am carrying a short sleeve merino wool shirt, a poly short sleeve shirt, a down jacket, a rain jacket, and the long sleeve merino wool shirt. If daytime temps aren't super cold, I typically hike in the short sleeves and put on the down in camp. With the mosquito factor for the JMT, I wonder if I might need the longsleeve merino to provide some bite protection? So my quandary is: should I pack the longsleeve or not? Any opinions from experience JMT'ers would be welcomed :)

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
          I would keep a long sleeve shirt for mornings, evenings, and mozzies protection. Consider just swapping the short sleeve merino for the long sleeve merino as you already have a short sleeved hiking shirt. You are looking fairly good at 28 lbs with food, nice job!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
            Why bring two short sleeve shirts?  I normally have a hiking shirt and a sleeping shirt, a down vest, rain jacket, and a 3 oz wind jacket (Montbell amazingly makes a 1.8 oz wind shirt now though).  This year due to the bugs, I've thought of replacing the sleeping short sleeve shirt with a long sleeve shirt and if the bugs are bad, I'll swap the normal short sleeve shirt with the long sleeve shirt.

            My philosophy about clothing other than spare underwear is that if the temps get down to 25 during the middle of the night, or < 40 throughout the day (I've seen both occurrences happen) you should be warm (ok) if you put everything on you brought, if you're too hot, then you perhaps could leave something behind.

            _

            On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM, stoltan15 <bob.larimore@...> wrote:

            A buddy and I are starting our JMT hike from HI trailhead on 7/13. In an attempt to pare down my pack weight (I am currently at 28lbs with food for first leg to Reds) I am debating on whether I need to pack my longsleeve Merino wool shirt. Currently I am carrying a short sleeve merino wool shirt, a poly short sleeve shirt, a down jacket, a rain jacket, and the long sleeve merino wool shirt. If daytime temps aren't super cold, I typically hike in the short sleeves and put on the down in camp. With the mosquito factor for the JMT, I wonder if I might need the longsleeve merino to provide some bite protection? So my quandary is: should I pack the longsleeve or not? Any opinions from experience JMT'ers would be welcomed :)

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
              If you're only at 28 pounds, ready to walk out the door, you could take all your shirts and see what works, with little effort.

              But yes, one long-sleeve ought to do for the sweaty task of hiking from sun up to sun down---live in it---the days are warm enough that if you feel the need to wash it, or more importantly, the need to cool down, just dunk it, wring it out, put it on and get on with your hike.

              Or yes, you could just drop it on a rock, drape it on a tree or use your three hundred feet of military grade dental floss and clothesline everything.

              If you need an extra layer, use your UL sleep shirt and toss on the down layer.

              I lost count of how many options you had, but done that one enough times to know most of it stays in the pack, but then, I am again, happy to live in a piece of clothing until it can stand up on its own.

              Bob Shattuck

              Sent from my iPhone

            • Cynthia Harrell
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
                Bob:

                On our upcoming JMT hike (leaving YV in 7/21) my husband & I are each taking a REI long-sleeve Sahara shirt for both sun & bug protection.  It's light-weight & dries quickly.  (Another vote for a great layering piece...)

                Wishing you a great hike,

                Cynthia "X Trovert" Harrell
                Woody "N Trovert" Harrell
                AT, GA>ME, Class of 2012

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM, stoltan15 <bob.larimore@...> wrote:

                A buddy and I are starting our JMT hike from HI trailhead on 7/13. In an attempt to pare down my pack weight (I am currently at 28lbs with food for first leg to Reds) I am debating on whether I need to pack my longsleeve Merino wool shirt. Currently I am carrying a short sleeve merino wool shirt, a poly short sleeve shirt, a down jacket, a rain jacket, and the long sleeve merino wool shirt. If daytime temps aren't super cold, I typically hike in the short sleeves and put on the down in camp. With the mosquito factor for the JMT, I wonder if I might need the longsleeve merino to provide some bite protection? So my quandary is: should I pack the longsleeve or not? Any opinions from experience JMT'ers would be welcomed :)

              • ravi_jmt2013
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
                  I have worn my Smartwool microweight long sleeve zipneck in very hot weather in the Grand Canyon and never found it uncomfortable because of the low humidity. I do find it somewhat uncomfortable in hot and humid weather but I'm afraid of ticks and don't like wearing sunscreen so I wear it anyway. I am planning on wearing the long sleeve smartwool for the entire JMT as my hiking shirt. I have a short sleeve smartwool t shirt that I change into once at camp. The long sleeve washes up easily and dries very well in arid conditions. In humid conditions it can take a lot longer to dry.

                  The only thing I wish was different about the shirt is to have a lighter color. It is blue and I think it could be even cooler in tan or white. But the blue was on sale for something like 50% off on Sierra Trading Post while the lighter colors were full price. I can't get myself to pay $80-90 for a shirt.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2013
                    I very much appreciate all of the clothing advice. I am ditching a short sleeve and adding the long sleeve. I gotta fess up on the 28lb pack weight tho....I hike with a buddy who is half my age, 6' 4", and built like a tank...I usually shame him into carrying the tent... however.... he does drink water like a thirsty camel so I usually end up having to share my water with him so it kinda evens out :)
                  • straw_marmot
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 7, 2013
                      I used to travel with a guy who's 6'7". I tried to convince him that if we were stranded like in the movie "Alive", it made more sense for me to eat him than for him to eat me, since clearly I could survive much longer on his giant bulk. Despite my flawless reasoning, he remained skeptical.

                      Ralph