New ultra-compact pad

  • Ric
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
      some time ago some one posted a msg on a new product coming out this
      april....ultra light -compact pad for backpacking? less than one lbs...
    • The Cisco Kid
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
        ok I found the post....

        here is a website:  http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2008/08/09/therm-a-rest-neoair.html

        RichardC"I'm in the Mountains, not over the Hill".

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
          http://thegearjunkie.com/the-gear-junkie-scoop-therm-a-rest-neoair

          "the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Mattress, announced officially on July 17, is now
          touted as the "world's lightest, most advanced three-season air mattress."
          Manufacturer Cascade Designs Inc. cites the inflatable pad as being
          approximately three times warmer than any other un-insulated air mattress on
          the market."

          http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2008/08/09/therm-a-rest-neoair.html

          Small: 20 x 47 in. (51 x 119 cm), 9 oz. (260 g)
          Medium: 20 x 66 in. (51 x 168 cm), 13 oz. (370 g)
          Regular: 20 x 72 in. (51 x 183 cm), 14 oz. (410 g)
          Large: 25 x 77 in. (63 x 196 cm), 1 lb. 3 oz. (550 g)

          On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Ric <dandyric@...> wrote:

          > some time ago some one posted a msg on a new product coming out this
          > april....ultra light -compact pad for backpacking? less than one lbs...

        • richfax
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
            Thanks for the info on this pad.  As an ultralight hiker I would seriously consider buying the small 48" x 20" Therm-a-Rest Neo.  Good warmth (2.5 R value), ultralight (9 oz), and ultra comfy (2.5" thick).  Too bad the price is so high ($120).

            In comparison, I used the Montbell UL Comfort System 90 pad to do the JMT in 2008 and had good results.  It is a 35" x 20" x 1" thick self inflater, weighs 10 oz and costs $59
            http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=33&p_id=1124275

            The Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite is also another good option.  It's a 32" x 17" x 1" thick self inflater weighing 10.4 oz and costs $69.
            http://www.bozemanmountainworks.com/?do=showproduct&id=83