Re: pondering a new camera, but . . .

  • drj4507
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 4, 2013
      Bob, I'm no expert in video, but I can offer some advice concerning battery conservation in still photography.

      IS is a big battery hog. Configure it to only be active during focus, not full time.
      The LCD screen also sucks the life out of your battery. Set your review time to just a few seconds to check your histogram and composition, and DO NOT ever review your images on the trail.
      If your camera has both an EVF and LCD, like the Fuji XE-1, use just one of them and disable the other.

      Your camera's documentation will give you an idea of the maximum number of shots you can expect from a fully charged battery. It would prudent to be a little skeptical of this figure. My Lumix LX-5 could have gone the full JMT last year on just one battery with charging just at Red's and MTR. I took a spare just in case I exceeded my usual 40-50 stills per day. My new XE-1 will likely burn through the electrons faster than that; I'll definitely carry some spare juice this year.

      Hope this helps. Tom Jacobsen

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Carver" <bobolonius@...> wrote:

      > Okay my cracked and grainy old Canon powershot A530 has seen a lot on the JMT––made a couple nice vids for me and yup, every time I dropped it I could sort of crunch it all back together, but I did destroy some preview button and it's video quality is not HD or anywhere near 1080 FPS . . . (and I'd like to make #13 a pretty one) but I love that it runs on plain old AA batteries, however I seem to be having a hard time coming up with another camera that fits the needs and budget.
      >
      > My big question is, if I go with one of these lithium rechargeable batteries, what's the life like . . . I usually shoot about 10-15 minutes of video and a few stills––anyone put their rechargeable camera through the same thing.
      >
      > My fear is leaving MTR, and not having enough battery to make it to the end. Experiences?
      >
      > Thanks, BOB

    • brucelem12
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 6, 2013
        Thanks for the ultralite gear links Don. I hadn't seen 2 of those sites before.

        +1 for shoulder strap pouches. Just my preference...but I don't like the feel of extra stuff at my waist or in pockets, and up high keeps paper/electronics out of streams. I have a map pouch on one side and a camera pouch on the other. Self made for the sake of a snug fit and cause I wanted quick/easy velcro closures. Mine are cuben, but could be made out of anything. Easy to make, (though my sewing does look like something from a 5th grade class project).
        Bruce

        --- Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:
        I just finished printing reduced size copies of the Harrison JMT maps. I normally print the pages out at 75% of their original size then trim the blank areas off. Makes for a smaller package but may be a problem if you have any "eye" issues. I just slip them in my pants pocket. I have used the blank backs of the pages for journal entries. If you don't have room in your pants or hip belts there are many shoulder strap pouch options and also fanny packs. Why did you dump your extra carry bag? Just from the sound of it I suspect the reason but curiosity... Some sources:
        Fanny pack
        Shoulder pouch
        Shoulder pouch 2
        Shoulder pouch 3
        Shoulder pouch 4
        Shoulder pouch 5
        And finally a bag with room for everything and at sub 3oz.

        From: jmacleish@...
        Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 16:59:52 -0700
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Map carrying "case".
        So I bought the ULA Catalyst pack and dumped an extra carry bag that went over my pack and hung on my chest for maps, shades, trail food, camera, etc. My Catalyst has just enough space for everything (I hope) in the waist belt pockets except the maps which I use constantly. On this trip it is cross country so map use will be even more intense. What do people use to carry their current maps for immediate access. The map won't fit in the waist belt pockets. I can cobble up something but maybe there are some good ideas already out there. thanks
        Joe