Re: JMT alternate entry points - Allowed but frowned on

  • John
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 4, 2013
      On the contrary Bruce, I really appreciate you bringing it up even if it is all conjecture. Who knows, the NPS may never do anything! But it was great to hear others comments and feelings about what the JMT, and wilderness travel means to them.

      John

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, brucelem12 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Ok...I see what you're saying John. From my view, how far down the JMT the line would be for what would be considered a bypass (alternate), would be directly proportional to how disappointing such restrictions would be, like whether or not Snow Creek would be. :)
      > Always good to hear your impression, since you probably have the most insight into park mindset/modus operandi.
      > Anyway, I feel a little bad for stirring up a can of worms based on conjecture.
      > Bruce
      >
      > --- "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
      > Hi Bruce
      > I just wanted to clarify "alternate starts". There are hundreds of trailheads up and down the Sierra that access the JMT at various points. The alternate starts I was referring to are the ones in Yosemite that bypass HI (the official northern terminus) and are used by complete thru hikers.
      > John
      >
      > --- brucelem12 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > Gosh, I'd sure hate to be required to follow a specific route just because I'm starting in Yos and exiting near Whitney. I want to string together long hikes that include large swaths of the JMT, but have different bits every time, -------------
      > Bruce

    • Robert
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 7, 2013
        Oops! I meant to say scare THEM off, but I was posting before heading out the door: ) !