Re: Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

  • mountainjazzy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
      I grew up in Arnold and then moved to Angels camp.
      I used to get poison oak so bad as a kid. The soap is a good thing to
      have for your day hikes at lower elevations ,it works great!

    • herbstroh@charter.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
        Ordinary soap is not terribly effective in removing the oils. There is a
        product marketed especially for washing off poison oak oils: Tecnu. As I
        understand it, the soap was originally developed for people working in
        nuclear plants to remove contaminate.

        Anyway, you rub it in to the exposed area for about 2 minutes, wash it off,
        towel, then reapply. (Use a different part of the towel each time you dry).
        The more times you reapply the more likely all the oils have been removed.
        It feels like you are prep'ing for surgery, but it works.

        I lived for 13 years in a hill side home and found myself constantaly
        plagued by rash. I couldn't figure it out--I knew what poision oak looked
        like and I had none growing on my property. Yet every time I did brush
        clearance I broke out in a rash on my hands and arms. Then a neighbor
        advised that the oils get into the soil, particularly in brush fire areas.
        I experimented and found that every time I handled hill side soil I broke
        out. The same neighbor turned me on to Tecnu, and I started buying it in
        the "family size."

        Note that most people will not get sufficient exposure to break out just by
        contacting soil. One becomes more susceptible to rash after repeated
        exposure, which I had over the years. Anyway, if you think you came into
        contact with poison oak, try Tecnu.