Re: [John Muir Trail] Great weight savings idea discovered by a newbie JMT hiker

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
      I just spread my clothing to dry over handy branches and rocks in the sun.  That's really good weight savings!

      Barbara

      On Jul 4, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      You learn something new each year you do the JMT.  This year a lady friend of mine is doing the JMT and she listened to my idea of laundry on the trail.

      I bring a 50 feet Clothes Line on Blue Kite String Handle ( 500# Jerry Brown Hollow Spectra (100 yards) fishing line (for use as heavy duty rope).  50 feet weighs ½  ounce.  A plastic Blue Kite String Handle weighs ½ ounce too.  This rope has 500 pounds of strength.  It is used for deep sea fishing.  In hindsight if I was buying it anew, I'd go for 300# line as it is cheaper and lighter and can be gotten for 40% the cost I paid for the 500 pound line.  http://www.bhptackle.com/product.php?productid=647&cat=44&page=1

      To put up the clothesline, you need to know two knots:  The two best knots to learn to tie and use this string on the trail are the bowline and the Rolling Hitch (Taut Line Hitch).  See http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline/ and http://www.animatedknots.com/rollinghitch/  by AnimatedKnots.com

      I used to bring along small clothes pins and a mesh bag to use if I needed to continue drying of the clothes while hiking.  My lady friend said to eliminate the mesh bag and reduce the weight of clothes pins to just safety diaper pins such as: http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-474-Diaper-Pins/dp/B0058C6U2C/

      Wow, the weight savings is considerable, plus space savings too.  16 of these pins weigh .9 oz.

      _

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
        How do rocks attach items to pack when drying while hiking?

        Sent from my iPhone
        See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
        http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

[...]

      • Don Amundson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
          From: marti124@...

          How do rocks attach items to pack when drying while hiking?

          Simple. Put the rocks over your items on your pack and tie them on with your 500# test spectra line.

        • Joe MacLeish
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013

            I attach the rocks to my pack with safety pins.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
              Dang! I've been bashing pitons into those ballast rocks for the longest time...

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

              > I attach the rocks to my pack with safety pins.

            • Bill Heiser
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
                I prefer to avoid carrying rocks. They're awfully heavy <grin>.

                ::: Joe MacLeish wrote: I attach the rocks to my pack with safety pins.
              • Barbara Karagosian

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013

                    I'm not as UL as Barbara, so I use Turtle pins (diaper pins) but they don't make Turtle pins anymore so I'm struggling.

                    Joe

[...]

                  • Judith Connaughton
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
                      Thank you, thank you, thank you (for the Amazon link). I looked all over for diaper pins last year to pin laundry to my pack. All I found were flimsy safety pins that popped open at the slightest tug. I used the gallon bag with a little bleach and a couple drops of Dr. Bronners and was happy with everything but the lousy pins. Drying was a problem because of rain, rain and more rain, but the system worked well. Thanks to whoever suggested that bleach was all that was really needed to keep clothes fresh.
                    • Judith Connaughton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
                        The only things I lost on the trail were a pair of sox I hung on a branch to dry and my partner moved to a sunnier location during a lunch stop. Next time they will go on the pack immediately.
                      • brucelem12
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
                          +1 for using rocks and sticks.
                          They are kind of inconvenient to fit in the pack though. Does anybody know of good ultra light versions available anyplace...maybe out of cuben or carbon fiber or something? Preferably collapsible.
                          Bruce

                          --- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:
                          I just spread my clothing to dry over handy branches and rocks in the sun. That's really good weight savings!
                          Barbara
                        • Chris
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013
                            Joe:

                            Is this what you are looking for?

                            http://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=diaper+pins

                            Chris.

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                            > I'm not as UL as Barbara, so I use Turtle pins (diaper pins) but they don't make Turtle pins anymore so I'm struggling.
                            >
                            > Joe

                          • Joe MacLeish
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 4, 2013

                              Not to take this to far off the JMT theme but I am looking for Turtle versions of this pin.  Like the ducks but Turtles.  25 years ago I was initiated into the Turtle club (on the JMT) by a then current Turtle member.  I have since found and initiated two other members but one has to bequeath a Turtle pin as part of the initiation and they are not so common.  I think they are out of "print".  I have seen a few on eBay but they are a bit pricey for a safety pin unless it has ritual value.  I think they are called "vintage".

                              Joe

                              > I'm not as UL as Barbara, so I use Turtle pins (diaper pins) but they don't make Turtle pins anymore so I'm struggling.
                              >
                              > Joe

                            • Spencer Goodwine

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 6, 2013
                                  without reading all the answers.....

                                  You dont need a clothes line. Simply lay clothing over branches or rocks.