Re: Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
      I hiked the trail July/Aug this past year. I did not see any poison oak
      and didn't expect to. I know the plant well having grown up in the Bay
      Area and lived at the 3000 ft level in Calaveras County. It really
      doesn't grow above 3500-4000ft. Watch out in winter when it has no
      leaves, just a reddish/brown to gray thin spikes, but still has lots of
      oil. The oil which causes the rash can be washed off with soap and
      water and I have also heard bleach. I have heard that washing off right
      away can prevent rash but....
    • mountainjazzy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
        I grew up in Arnold and then moved to Angels camp.
        I used to get poison oak so bad as a kid. The soap is a good thing to
        have for your day hikes at lower elevations ,it works great!

      • herbstroh@charter.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
          Ordinary soap is not terribly effective in removing the oils. There is a
          product marketed especially for washing off poison oak oils: Tecnu. As I
          understand it, the soap was originally developed for people working in
          nuclear plants to remove contaminate.

          Anyway, you rub it in to the exposed area for about 2 minutes, wash it off,
          towel, then reapply. (Use a different part of the towel each time you dry).
          The more times you reapply the more likely all the oils have been removed.
          It feels like you are prep'ing for surgery, but it works.

          I lived for 13 years in a hill side home and found myself constantaly
          plagued by rash. I couldn't figure it out--I knew what poision oak looked
          like and I had none growing on my property. Yet every time I did brush
          clearance I broke out in a rash on my hands and arms. Then a neighbor
          advised that the oils get into the soil, particularly in brush fire areas.
          I experimented and found that every time I handled hill side soil I broke
          out. The same neighbor turned me on to Tecnu, and I started buying it in
          the "family size."

          Note that most people will not get sufficient exposure to break out just by
          contacting soil. One becomes more susceptible to rash after repeated
          exposure, which I had over the years. Anyway, if you think you came into
          contact with poison oak, try Tecnu.