RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: first aid kit

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 3, 2013

      Michael:

      Attached is a recommended First aid kit from the PCT  (actually now that I look closer at the site I am not so sure it is "official" PCT).  maybe yes/no?   It contains most of what I take and weighs only 3 oz. (so they say).  I'll be trying it on m y next trip.

      http://www.planyourhike.com/gear/safety.php

      Joe

      First Aid

      First-aid kits don't need to be nearly as elaborate as store-bought kits often are. Below is a list of items we recommend for your first-aid kit. The total weight for these items is just under 3 oz. Be sure to add anything else to your kit that you think you'll need.

      ·  1/2 oz tube of triple antibiotic ointment - mainly used on broken blisters

      ·  a small handful of Benadryl - used to control allergic reactions

      ·  a small handful of Ibuprofen - to help with pain and swelling

      ·  a few Imodium tablets - to control diarrhea and water loss (in case you drink foul water) until you can get to town

      ·  a few disinfecting alcohol pads

      ·  butterfly band-aids - to close cuts

      ·  regular bandaids

      ·  a small amount of gauze - to cover scrapes and blisters or to help fashion a splint

      ·  3 yards of duct tape - tape to hold the gauze on, fashion a splint, cover a blister, and repair gear

      ·  a few safety pins (they are always good for something)

      ·  any special medication you need for personal medical conditions

      Joe

      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 27, 2013
        The ESSENTIAL item is 'second skin' or any other antiseptic liquid bandage product (Walgreens carries them) to cover scrapes, cuts, blisters, burns, etc.

        Also, let me plug for injinji socks to prevent blisters forming in the first place.

        Ken.