Re: Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

  • mountainjazzy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
      There probably is a poison oak on some parts in the lower elevations
      of the JMT. Depending on the time of year you go, it could be worse
      then other times. There are some parts where no plants grow at all.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer
      from such
      > on the JMT? thanks.
      >
      > Roleigh Martin

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
        I hiked the trail July/Aug this past year. I did not see any poison oak
        and didn't expect to. I know the plant well having grown up in the Bay
        Area and lived at the 3000 ft level in Calaveras County. It really
        doesn't grow above 3500-4000ft. Watch out in winter when it has no
        leaves, just a reddish/brown to gray thin spikes, but still has lots of
        oil. The oil which causes the rash can be washed off with soap and
        water and I have also heard bleach. I have heard that washing off right
        away can prevent rash but....
      • mountainjazzy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
          I grew up in Arnold and then moved to Angels camp.
          I used to get poison oak so bad as a kid. The soap is a good thing to
          have for your day hikes at lower elevations ,it works great!

        • herbstroh@charter.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
            Ordinary soap is not terribly effective in removing the oils. There is a
            product marketed especially for washing off poison oak oils: Tecnu. As I
            understand it, the soap was originally developed for people working in
            nuclear plants to remove contaminate.

            Anyway, you rub it in to the exposed area for about 2 minutes, wash it off,
            towel, then reapply. (Use a different part of the towel each time you dry).
            The more times you reapply the more likely all the oils have been removed.
            It feels like you are prep'ing for surgery, but it works.

            I lived for 13 years in a hill side home and found myself constantaly
            plagued by rash. I couldn't figure it out--I knew what poision oak looked
            like and I had none growing on my property. Yet every time I did brush
            clearance I broke out in a rash on my hands and arms. Then a neighbor
            advised that the oils get into the soil, particularly in brush fire areas.
            I experimented and found that every time I handled hill side soil I broke
            out. The same neighbor turned me on to Tecnu, and I started buying it in
            the "family size."

            Note that most people will not get sufficient exposure to break out just by
            contacting soil. One becomes more susceptible to rash after repeated
            exposure, which I had over the years. Anyway, if you think you came into
            contact with poison oak, try Tecnu.