Re: [John Muir Trail] Maps

  • mountainjazzy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2009
      YES it is always best to have a good ol' compass and waterproof map to
      orient. I would never leave without it.
      =)
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "intrek40" <intrek40@...> wrote:

      > Sure you can download them, but are they water proof like the maps
      > you buy????
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for posting that link Robert!  I have a ton of USGS 7.5
      > minute topos which use to cose $4 each a few years back but then went
      > to $7 each.  Downloading them for free is the best thing since sliced
      > bread!!
      > >
      > > Thomas

    • berdomb
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4
        Anyone use Postholers free maps for the JMT?
        Look good (40 pages) and very detailed PDF

        How do these compare to the Harrison maps?  or Eriks Atlas?
      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4
          " Look good (40 pages) "

          "40 pages" . . . there's detail and then there's detail . . . you really only need about thirteen pages that you get with the Harrison Map set. I would buy whatever books might entertain and educate you, but then once you've absorbed them, leave them at home and you'll be fine with just the Harrison's.

          Bob Shattuck

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4
            By memory, at least, the Tom Harrison maps show more of the sidetrips and bailout routes than the Postholer ones which are very narrowly focused on the trail. Also hard with a home (or even office) printer to get the crisp clarity of the TH maps. But it is a place where you can save some money, the Postholer ones can do the trick. I've used them on other parts of the PCT and they are relaible (occasionally the captions of features overlap each other).

            The Halfmile series are also looking at. - PCT Section California H at

            He also has useful GPS waypoints and tracks

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4
            • 348 KB
            The halfmile pct app on the IPhone is great as it shows you how far to go to next junction , trail head , water hole , or camp site. If you do a spur trail to get resupply it tells you how far to go to trailhead etc. I ended using it. 99% of the time on the JMT.

            App Store pic below.

            image.png

            Sent from my iPhone
            See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
            http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

            On Jan 4, 2014, at 9:55 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

            By memory, at least, the Tom Harrison maps show more of the sidetrips and bailout routes than the Postholer ones which are very narrowly focused on the trail. Also hard with a home (or even office) printer to get the crisp clarity of the TH maps. But it is a place where you can save some money, the Postholer ones can do the trick. I've used them on other parts of the PCT and they are relaible (occasionally the captions of features overlap each other).

            The Halfmile series are also looking at. - PCT Section California H at

            He also has useful GPS waypoints and tracks

            On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM, <berdomb@...> wrote:

            Anyone use Postholers free maps for the JMT?
            Look good (40 pages) and very detailed PDF

            How do these compare to the Harrison maps?  or Eriks Atlas?

          • cehauser1
            Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6

              I used the Tom Harrison JMT map pack, and loved it.  I used the back of each map to write a daily journal.  The water-proof material of the Harrison maps was a real plus, as standard paper maps would have gotten wet a number of times, and survived my trip.  (Ball point pen ink works well on this synthetic material, and won't smear after drying for a minute or two.)

              From a quick glance, the Postholer and Halfmile maps look like they are the about same scale, and are about twice as detailed as the Harrison maps... I'm not sure this greater detail is necessary for summer hiking of the JMT, and in fact it comes at the cost of more maps to carry (not the added weight, but the complication of having to organize 40 separate maps).

              On my JMT hike this summer, I took a half-day detour off the JMT to visit a hot spring.  This detour is thoughtfully included on one of the Harrison maps (page 9), but is not even visible on the Halfmile maps, and it is only partially shown on the Postholer maps.  Halfmile does show popular side trails / bailouts, that Postholer does not.  Also, I have a hard time seeing blue trails on maps (my mind automatically interprets them as streams).

              Chris.