Re: [John Muir Trail] Sending stuff back home fr om Red's Meadow and MTR?

  • Carrie DeValk
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
      Has anyone had problems with people taking gear left behind at the base of the climb up Mt. Whitney?

      Sent via the HTC Vivid™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
        I left everything but a few items (I was the first one to leave something there on that day) and when I returned it was unmolested, as we're all the other packs that had been left, since.

        Seems like an unlikely place for thefts.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
          On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Carrie DeValk <cdevalk@...> wrote:
           Has anyone had problems with people taking gear left behind at the base of the climb up Mt. Whitney?

          Maybe this is the advantage of my being what some have called am UH (UltraHeavy) backpacker. nobody tried to take my pack when I left it at Trail Crest
        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
            "Has anyone had problems with people taking gear left behind at the base of the climb up Mt. Whitney?"

            Nah, not really a problem. . . . if you're freaked about it, take your pack up a few switch-backs and stash it behind some rocks just off-trail . . . JUST REMEMBER where you left it.

            otherwise, just also remember to take everything with you that you might need to get home––phone, wallet, camera––this should all go to the summit with you, but there's really too much traffic for anyone to be plundering backpacks . . . and anyone who does, well, there are a few nice ledges . . . short trial, conviction, and off they go!

            BOB

          • Alex Cheng
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
              I've never had any problems with stashing my pack near trail junction.  Rather than just drop it off right at trail junction, I drop it off about 100 yards before trail junction, where there is a very large flat area (it's an obvious place where people will camp, if no thunderstorms are imminent).  Trail junction is a very narrow area and very congested with packs and people resting (and stinks from stale urine).  This flat area before trail junction will not be visited by day hikers as it is 100 yards towards Guitar Lake from trail junction, but is a place all JMT hikers will pass.

              Last year, I met a few people who actually took their packs to the summit.  When I asked them why, they said that it's an easy hike from trail junction to the summit (for JMTers), and they feel an attachment to their packs (after all those miles on the JMT).  I couldn't disagree with them!

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
                Someone on whiteblaze recently suggested the following theft deterrent product:

                http://www.dobermanproducts.com/products/se_0304.html

                It emits a 110 decibel alarm if the item it is attached to is moved without first entering a security code. It looks like it can't weigh more than a few ounces.

                I'm thinking of buying it but not to use in the backcountry. I feel more of a need to protect my pack at stores and restaurants where packs must be left outside. This applies more to the AT than the JMT. But it might be something to think about for those worried about pack theft in general.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
                  " It emits a 110 decibel alarm if the item it is attached to . . . "

                  I always get out there and after a few days, I miss the constant blaring of car alarms, sirens, stupid loud car stereo and exhaust systems . . . I do hope someone brings something like this out on the trail  . . .

                  . . . and while I have to admit wondering why no one has thought to use something like this, placed on a bear can . . . you really don't need to worry about anyone bugging your gear.

                  BOB

                • ravi_jmt2013
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013

                    > " It emits a 110 decibel alarm if the item it is attached to . . . "
                    > I always get out there and after a few days, I miss the constant blaring of car alarms, sirens, stupid loud car stereo and exhaust systems . . . I do hope someone brings something like this out on the trail . . .

                    Yeah, it would be bad trail etiquette to say the least to use it in the backcountry especially since animals could trigger it... In front of a store where there are cars and people it would just be another noise source so I wouldn't feel bad about using it for that purpose.

                    However, the product appears to have mediocre reviews on Amazon so it is probably not worth considering.
                  • straw_marmot
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
                      I don't know about theft, but I'd have no compunction about tossing a backpack emitting 110dB over the nearest precipice, whether or not the owner were attached.