Sending stuff back home from Red's Meadow and MTR?

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
      I'd like to send used batteries back home from both Red's Meadow and MTR. The MTR resupply site contains this:

      ------------

      Can I ship things out from the ranch?

      Yes. The cost will be determined by the weight and size of the shipment. There is a $10 handling charge plus postage for a Priority Mail flat rate box. If you are sending out too much for one box, there is a handling charge plus postage for each additional box. Inquire while at the ranch.

      -----------

      I am interpreting this to mean that I don't have to bring anything - that they will supply the flat rate box and we put our things in it, address it they weight it and tell us how much it costs and mail it. Can anyone confirm that's how it works?

      ------------

      As for Red's Meadow, does anyone know what the procedure is for sending something back home from there? Should I bring a shipping envelope with pre-addressed postage? Or will Red's Meadow also be able to handle everything for me?
    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013

        that's how it worked for me.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
          On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM, john_friend <yahoo@...> wrote:
          I am interpreting this to mean that I don't have to bring anything - that they will supply the flat rate box and we put our things in it, address it they weight it and tell us how much it costs and mail it. Can anyone confirm that's how it works?

          I plan to put a flat rate box in my bucket and I'll know what it will cost (the flat rate for that size plus the $10). If fact, I'l plan to have the stamps for the postage and a $10 bill in the bucket just to make sure I'm good to go. It seems possible to me that they sometimes run out of stuff and aren't able to restock for a week.

        • Herb
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
            We had a number of items to send back from Muir Trail Ranch (MTR), and so we just resealed the 5 gallon bucket and sent it back. They had tape and labels available as I recall, but might be a good idea to drop those items into your bucket. They handled figuring out the postage.

            Please be sure to thank the folks at MTR for providing this service, it is a big project for them and they don't really need to do it. Somewhere I have a photo of all the buckets that had arrived on the day we picked up our supplies. It looked like there were enough provisions to feed an army.

            On the question of leaving a pack at the junction below Whitney, we did so and had no problems. In fact, there were probably 50-100 packs lining the trail junction. But be sure to carry some water and food with you (and a jacket/wind protection) to the summit--the round trip plus time to enjoy the views takes longer than you might think.

            Herb

          • jaymiche@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
              Last year I shipped a small box home from MTR. They supplied the flat rate box.