If you belong (or formerly did) to the PCTA (Pacific Crest Trail Association), please complete this short survey.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2013
      If you belong (or formerly did) to the PCTA (Pacific Crest Trail Association), please complete this short survey.

      I am hoping to get as many if not all current or former PCTA members who belong to this JMT group to take this one minute survey.

      It makes zero difference if you use a stove at all, what type of stove, or whether you plan on hiking the JMT this year or again.

      Thank you.

      Roleigh Martin
      Lead Moderator
      _

      On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      I have created a 7 question survey on Survey Monkey to help our group and JMT hikers.  Here is the title

      Which JMT Members Belong to the PCTA and Who (Regardless) Uses Alcohol/Esbit Stoves?

      The purpose of this Survey is to understand how many members of the Yahoo or Facebook John Muir Trail Groups belong to the Pacific Crest Trail Association (PCTA). The reason for discovery is that the PCTA works closely with regulatory authorities pertinent to the national parks and forests that contain the John Muir Trail. With the current 2013 severe fire restriction rules in place for areas south of Yosemite National Park, it impacts JMT hikers who are confused over the ambiguous rules pertaining to the use of alcohol, esbit and/or wood-chip stoves, regardless if such stoves are 100% self-contained and protected against causing a fire outside of the stove. "Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves fueled by petroleum or LPG products are allowed by permit." is the rule in question. The usage of the term "such as" followed by the list does not clearly cover the three other fuel stove types. It is the desire of this survey to demonstrate to the PCTA that X-number of JMT members are PCTA members and X-number of JMT hikers, regardless of their membership, are using such stoves. This can help the PCTA work with authorities and the JMT group(s).

      Regardless of your position with the PCTA or your type of stove, we would greatly appreciate you taking this short survey.  It should only take one minute, literally to take.

      I shared the survey with John and he and I are both interested in getting the results and seeing what it can do for the group.  Thank you.  Here is the link:

      https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3TVBZKN

      I will be asking JMT Facebook users to take the survey too.  Let's get a stronger response from our group, ok?

      Thanks!
      Roleigh Martin
      Lead Moderator

      _