Re: Sierra National Forest - Home

  • walkingwomad
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2013
      I actually was looking quite forward on using my alcohol stove setup, but maybe I should just forget about this year. Yeah it's gonna cost me some money, and yeah it's gonna add some weight (argh, should I not take my ukulele then?) but I wanna hike happy-hearted and not worry about stoves and stuff (maybe I should go without... Na I guess not).

      I think I'll buy a new stove once I get to San Francisco (I have 2 days before leaving to Yosemite). Here in Europe they are more expensive...

      Has anyone used the Jetboil Zip stove?

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
        On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM, walkingwomad <helenbeckers@...> wrote:

        I actually was looking quite forward on using my alcohol stove setup, but maybe I should just forget about this year. ... I think I'll buy a new stove once I get to San Francisco (I have 2 days before leaving to Yosemite). ...

        You could borrow my daughter's Jetboil PCS, my favorite stove (that's why she has one). She won't be using it during the time of your trip (if I remember your dates right). Pick it up as you pass through town and mail it back to me when you exit.

        But my old Svea 123 is prettier. And clearly legal (pressurized fuel and a shutoff valve) even though it is probably more likely to start a fire than the average alcohol stove. Ironic, now that I think about it.

        Inline image 1

      • brucelem12
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
          Thanks Chris and John. It makes more sense now that I understand for sure that the wilderness areas are non administrative subsets of the administrative boundaries.
          Bruce

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > -Inyo National Forest (to Whitney Portal)
          >
          > Sequoia NF: As mentioned before, the JMT never crosses Sequoia NF nor Sequoia NM.
          >
          > Wilderness Areas: As Bruce mentions, Wilderness Areas often overlap multiple administrative units. This is due to the fact that WA's are more of a land use designation (allowed uses on the land), rather than an administrative designation (who manages the land). It looks like the fire restrictions are being decided on the basis of administrative units... so wilderness areas are not important for these restrictions.
          >
          > 2. I was really looking forward to using an alcohol stove on my JMT hike this summer, but I didn't want to push the boundaries on the gray areas on these fire restrictions, so I looked into cheap/light canister stoves. I found this one on Amazon, super cheap ($7), super light (4oz without canister), and gets great reviews. Has anyone here used this? I'll be getting one and testing it out soon.
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B004U8CP88/
          >
          > Cheers!
          >
          > Chris.
          >

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I havent been following this, but the list below isn't quite right.
          > > SoBo
          > > Yosemite National Park (YOSE) (Dept Interior)Ansel Adams Wilderness
          > > (Inyo Nat'l Forest Dept Agriculture)Devils Postpile National Monument
          > > (DFPO) (Interior)John Muir Wilderness (Sierra National Forest,
          > > administered by Inyo to Silver Pass (Agriculture)John Muir Wilderness
          > > (Sierra National Forest) to Piute Creek (Agriculture)Kings Canyon
          > > National Park (SEKI) to Forester Pass (Interior)Sequoia National Park
          > > (SEKI) to Whitney (Interior)John Muir Wilderness (Inyo) Trail Crest to
          > > WP
          > > Minaret Wilderness is the pre 1984 California Wilderness act name for
          > > Ansel Adams Wilderness
          > > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
          > > <http://www.johndittli.com>
          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, brucelem12 wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm reading all this with great interest, because I've always been
          > > confused about the assorted wilderness/park/forest area boundaries, and
          > > assorted maps seem to provide conflicting info, so thank you John and
          > > Roleigh for your research!
          > > >
          > > > Is the following correct?
          > > >
          > > > The following are all the agencies which govern/manage the contiguous
          > > uninterrupted area between Yosemite and Kings Canyon, and none of them
          > > overlap:
          > > > -Yosemite National Park
          > > > -Sierra National Forest
          > > > -Sequoia National Forest
          > > > -Inyo National Forest
          > > > -Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park (managed by one
          > > agency)
          > > >
          > > > The following are all subsets of the above, (crossing several in some
          > > cases and subsets of subsets in some cases), and do not have their own

        • Pete
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
            Barbara:

            Had to laugh at this. I bought a Pocket Rocket right after they came out and took it on an overniter in Utah.
            My first pass at dinner wound up tipping over into the sand. It
            went back to REI in favor of one with a broader pot rest.

            Pete

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

            > Chris - I had a look at the stove you mentioned - just make sure the prong things that the pot rests on are wide and grippy enough that it wont be sliding around. I had a "Pocket Rocket" once, that had to be perfectly straight or else the pot would tip off, and that's hard to manage.
            >
            > Barbara

          • Allen Freeman
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
              I had the pressure valve blow out on a Svea 123 once. It makes quite the flame-thrower!

              --
              ~~~~~
              Allen F. Freeman

              “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”
              -Edward Abbey

              On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

              On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM, walkingwomad <helenbeckers@...> wrote:

              I actually was looking quite forward on using my alcohol stove setup, but maybe I should just forget about this year. ... I think I'll buy a new stove once I get to San Francisco (I have 2 days before leaving to Yosemite). ...

              You could borrow my daughter's Jetboil PCS, my favorite stove (that's why she has one). She won't be using it during the time of your trip (if I remember your dates right). Pick it up as you pass through town and mail it back to me when you exit.

              But my old Svea 123 is prettier. And clearly legal (pressurized fuel and a shutoff valve) even though it is probably more likely to start a fire than the average alcohol stove. Ironic, now that I think about it.

              Inline image 1

            • Kim Fishburn