Re: [John Muir Trail] Sequoia Fire Chief Response on Alcohol Stove Use and PCTA Reminder about Campfires

  • Jgoring1
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 1, 2013
      Oh for Pete's sake...

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 8:11 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      It is 100% definite.  Do not, for the time being, as long as these fire restrictions are in place, consider using an alcohol stove on the JMT this summer.

      I contacted Brent Skaggs, Forest Fire Chief, Sequoia National Forest And Giant Sequoia National Monument and I got him and Trail Designs in a beginning dialogue about alcohol stoves, and he took the matter to another official.  I got his reply today.

      From: Skaggs, Brent -FS
      Date: Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM
      Subject: Sequoia Fire Chief Response RE: Can someone please educate the JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group and Facebook Group about Alcohol Stoves with the new fire restrictions?

      Hello All, a lot going with the wildfire community right now, I thought about your equipment and our Forest Fire restrictions last night and today.  I went to your website and watched the instructional videos regarding use of the equipment.  This morning I had a discussion with our Patrol Captain regarding your equipment.  I would appreciate if you could pass the word that due the dry conditions, we need everyone to follow the current fire restrictions as written.  I would be glad to have further discussions regarding this issue, just use the cell number below.  Thank you

      Also Jack Haskel of the PCTA has posted on the JMT Facebook group tonight about this link:

      _

      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 8, 2013
        On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
        If you do bring an alcohol stove, I'd definitely bring a printout of the email from Don!

        i suggest you print them separately, rather than all on the same page. Depending which jurisdiction you are in and the shoulder patch on the ranger you are talking to, you'd want to pull out the most favorable one under the circumstances. The conflicting advice in this series of communications is likely to make the Ranger feel like you were shopping for the interpretation you liked, rather than the one he's charged with enforcing.

        If you are clearly within Inyo, I'd use that (at least with an esbit). If within Sierra-administered-by-Inyo, I'd use Sierra. In Yosemite NP, use the Yosemite one. In SEKI use that one. Depends a bit on whether you are wanting to use Esbits or alcohol. Sounds like you'd need Esbits for Inyo but might get away with alcohol elsewhere. Or keep it simple and just bring a isobutane stove. Do you really want to play lawyer on your hike?

        But if you do play lawyer, make sure you focus the ranger on the most helpful support for each jurisdiction. That's an old lawyer skill and I dust them off occasionally