RE: [John Muir Trail] Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

  • dc t
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
      I never have. I usually keep a close eye out for that stuff because I have had a very traumatic encounter with that stuff. Like preveous messages you may find it along the riparian zones in lower elevations...MAYBE!, but I have never seen it. I normally keep a look out where just as the wood line is exposed to the sun. Those places I have found tends to have the highest concentrations of that stuff.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
        Roleigh,

        General rule-of-thumb [dermatologists log off now...] is that poison
        oak grows only below 7,500 ft. elevation where it does grow at all.
        Hence, in the Sierra should be very observant at trailheads and the
        lower elevations in Yosemite. It's the wonderful oak woodland
        foothills of the Sierra where poison oak thrives, not to mention Los
        Padres National Forest and the like [absolute nightmare for the
        majority of us allergic to that dreaded plant].

        Leaves of three, let it be! And give it a wide berth!

        Thomas R. Conroy
        trconroy@...

        On Jan 1, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Roleigh Martin wrote:

        > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from
        > such
        > on the JMT? thanks.
        >
        > Roleigh Martin

      • mountainjazzy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
          There probably is a poison oak on some parts in the lower elevations
          of the JMT. Depending on the time of year you go, it could be worse
          then other times. There are some parts where no plants grow at all.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer
          from such
          > on the JMT? thanks.
          >
          > Roleigh Martin

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
            I hiked the trail July/Aug this past year. I did not see any poison oak
            and didn't expect to. I know the plant well having grown up in the Bay
            Area and lived at the 3000 ft level in Calaveras County. It really
            doesn't grow above 3500-4000ft. Watch out in winter when it has no
            leaves, just a reddish/brown to gray thin spikes, but still has lots of
            oil. The oil which causes the rash can be washed off with soap and
            water and I have also heard bleach. I have heard that washing off right
            away can prevent rash but....
          • mountainjazzy
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
              I grew up in Arnold and then moved to Angels camp.
              I used to get poison oak so bad as a kid. The soap is a good thing to
              have for your day hikes at lower elevations ,it works great!

            • herbstroh@charter.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                Ordinary soap is not terribly effective in removing the oils. There is a
                product marketed especially for washing off poison oak oils: Tecnu. As I
                understand it, the soap was originally developed for people working in
                nuclear plants to remove contaminate.

                Anyway, you rub it in to the exposed area for about 2 minutes, wash it off,
                towel, then reapply. (Use a different part of the towel each time you dry).
                The more times you reapply the more likely all the oils have been removed.
                It feels like you are prep'ing for surgery, but it works.

                I lived for 13 years in a hill side home and found myself constantaly
                plagued by rash. I couldn't figure it out--I knew what poision oak looked
                like and I had none growing on my property. Yet every time I did brush
                clearance I broke out in a rash on my hands and arms. Then a neighbor
                advised that the oils get into the soil, particularly in brush fire areas.
                I experimented and found that every time I handled hill side soil I broke
                out. The same neighbor turned me on to Tecnu, and I started buying it in
                the "family size."

                Note that most people will not get sufficient exposure to break out just by
                contacting soil. One becomes more susceptible to rash after repeated
                exposure, which I had over the years. Anyway, if you think you came into
                contact with poison oak, try Tecnu.