RE: [John Muir Trail] Is the ULA Catalyst pack water proof.

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
      I've always just used a pack liner from Gossamer Gear  My bag goes in my pack first and everything else goes on top. I've never had a problem with it or anything getting wet in my pack.  Nothing is waterproof but you pack may be more water resistant than you think.

      Your experience will vary......

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: jmacleish@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:52:22 -0700
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Is the ULA Catalyst pack water proof.

      Barbara/anybody:

      I think you have the Catalyst or other ULA pack.  I am considering not putting my sleeping bag in its waterproof compression sack (2-3 oz) and just flopping it in the bottom of the pack to fit around stuff per the recommendation of various of the group.  Will it stay dry in the Catalyst if it rains ( I have a pack cover but they are usually not perfect).  This next trip will be the first time for me with a Catalyst.  Do I need a white garbage bag? (add back an oz).

      Joe

    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013

        Don/Barbara:

        Looks good.  I'll get it even if its 1.2 oz per bag added back on.

        thanks

        Joe

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: jmacleish@...
        Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:52:22 -0700

        Barbara/anybody:

        I think you have the Catalyst or other ULA pack.  I am considering not putting my sleeping bag in its waterproof compression sack (2-3 oz) and just flopping it in the bottom of the pack to fit around stuff per the recommendation of various of the group.  Will it stay dry in the Catalyst if it rains ( I have a pack cover but they are usually not perfect).  This next trip will be the first time for me with a Catalyst.  Do I need a white garbage bag? (add back an oz).

        Joe

      • sriprank
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
          I have used the same trash compactor bag for years. They are stronger than trash bags. I've been using the same one since '08 and I'm out there a lot.