Cozy

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 244 KB
  • dicentra
    Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2013

      A wool or fleece hat works just fine.

      -Dicentra

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      From: Robert <rnperky@...>;
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>;
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cozy
      Sent: Mon, Jul 1, 2013 11:30:36 PM

      A cleaned up Mountain House stand-up foil pouch works great as well. I have used one repeatedly for a couple of years. It came in handy when I tried to save a little and tried a non-freezer style bag to rehydrate my dinner and the cheap bag sprung a leak in the corner, I wasn't out a meal!

      Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2013
        I ended up buying the AntiGravityGear.com pot cozy but it weighs 1.6 oz and just recently found one that weighs 1.0 to 1.2 oz:

        Looks like it would do the job too.
        _

        On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Peter Greene <greenep1@...> wrote:

        I am looking for a cozy to rehydrate food that holds a one quart zip lock bag. I have one that holds a one gallon bag, but I always seem do my own food no matter the size of the groups. I found one on Hawk Vittles, but it still seems big and, therefore, heavier than it needs to be. Any ideas?

      • misadventuregear
        Message 4 of 15 , Jul 1, 2013
          I made my cozy with Reflectrix insulation from Lowes. I picked up a 25ft roll and cut the perfect size for my needs, then duct tape it together. I also made a couple of pot cozies and still have lots left over. Reflectrix is basically foil covered bubble wrap. An automotive windshield sun screen also makes a good cozy.

          Russell

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Greene <greenep1@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for a cozy to rehydrate food that holds a one quart zip lock bag. I have one that holds a one gallon bag, but I always seem do my own food no matter the size of the groups. I found one on Hawk Vittles, but it still seems big and, therefore, heavier than it needs to be. Any ideas?

        • Allen Freeman
          Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2013
            A fleece cap works great, and does double duty. Keep it simple.
            --
            ~~~~~
            Allen F. Freeman

            “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to
            the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the
            clouds.”
            -Edward Abbey

            On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Peter Greene <greenep1@...> wrote:
            > I am looking for a cozy to rehydrate food that holds a one quart zip lock bag. I have one that holds a one gallon bag, but I always seem do my own food no matter the size of the groups. I found one on Hawk Vittles, but it still seems big and, therefore, heavier than it needs to be. Any ideas?
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > Please strip out "replied-to" text if not necessary to your reply. Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats. For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/6j6axeq - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you'll want for all services needed on or off the trail. We encourage all to join the JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar Yahoo Group, just send a blank email to:

          • cjoslyn99
            Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2, 2013
              Not recommended.  Food smell will txfer to hat.  I always leave my cozy outside tent at night b/c it smells like dinner.

              Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2, 2013
                If you used a mylar zip-closeable bag, then put your hot water food bag inside the mylar bag, then the mylar bag inside your beanie, it should work and perhaps save .9 of an ounce over a 1.2 oz pot cozy.  Depends if one wants to go to that extent.  But I fully agree with Joslyn barring an odor proof enclosure.
                _

                Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2013
                  On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM, misadventuregear <misadventuregear@...> wrote:
                  .. Reflectrix insulation from Lowes

                  I've also had good luck with this for making DIY cozies. Too bad you have to buy it in big rolls.

                  Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2, 2013
                    On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                    On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM, misadventuregear <misadventuregear@...> wrote:
                    .. Reflectrix insulation from Lowes

                    I've also had good luck with this for making DIY cozies. Too bad you have to buy it in big rolls.

                    PS: I have way more of this than I will ever use. If you are local in SF, and stop by my house, I'm glad to cut off some for you.

                  • Peter Greene

                      Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2, 2013
                        I purchased the Optimus Heat Pouch on Amazon, and although I've only used it once, it seemed to do the job.
                        http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-8018269-Heat-Pouch-Black/dp/B005YEQP24/

                        Darryl

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Greene <greenep1@...> wrote:

                        > I am looking for a cozy to rehydrate food that holds a one quart zip lock bag. I have one that holds a one gallon bag, but I always seem do my own food no matter the size of the groups. I found one on Hawk Vittles, but it still seems big and, therefore, heavier than it needs to be. Any ideas?

                      • lkrlb44
                        Message 12 of 15 , Jul 29, 2013
                          I bought one of the fabric ones but it got so dirty after 4-5 days and was hard to clean. I'm making my own with reflectix.

                          Ladd