Quart cozies

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
      See link for AGG below
    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013

        Barbara/anybody:

        I think you have the Catalyst or other ULA pack.  I am considering not putting my sleeping bag in its waterproof compression sack (2-3 oz) and just flopping it in the bottom of the pack to fit around stuff per the recommendation of various of the group.  Will it stay dry in the Catalyst if it rains ( I have a pack cover but they are usually not perfect).  This next trip will be the first time for me with a Catalyst.  Do I need a white garbage bag? (add back an oz).

        Joe

          I always use a waterproof sac for my sleeping bag. I wouldn't trust any pack on its own or even with a pack cover. I also (belt and suspenders) use a pack liner bag from Gossamer Gear. See-through and lighter than a trash compactor bag. And more $$ of course. If you used that, you might get away with no separate bag bag, but me personally wouldn't risk it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013

            Barbara:

            thanks.  Robert gave me a reference as well.  I guess I will look for your pack liner as maybe the lightest sure way to keep my stuff dry and then the pack cover for extra insurance.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
              check out packitgourmet. they have a couple of different size cozies.
              http://www.packitgourmet.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

              > See link for AGG below

            • Don Amundson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
                I've always just used a pack liner from Gossamer Gear  My bag goes in my pack first and everything else goes on top. I've never had a problem with it or anything getting wet in my pack.  Nothing is waterproof but you pack may be more water resistant than you think.

                Your experience will vary......

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013

                  Don/Barbara:

                  Looks good.  I'll get it even if its 1.2 oz per bag added back on.

                  thanks

                  Joe

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jmacleish@...
                  Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 16:52:22 -0700

                  Barbara/anybody:

                  I think you have the Catalyst or other ULA pack.  I am considering not putting my sleeping bag in its waterproof compression sack (2-3 oz) and just flopping it in the bottom of the pack to fit around stuff per the recommendation of various of the group.  Will it stay dry in the Catalyst if it rains ( I have a pack cover but they are usually not perfect).  This next trip will be the first time for me with a Catalyst.  Do I need a white garbage bag? (add back an oz).

                  Joe

                • sriprank
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 13, 2013
                    I have used the same trash compactor bag for years. They are stronger than trash bags. I've been using the same one since '08 and I'm out there a lot.