Re: [John Muir Trail] One night suggestions for 5 year old son and wife (their first time)

  • Wendy Shugar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1 12:39 PM
      try Onion Valley.  Hike up tot he second or third Lake to set up camp and then you can fish, do day hikes etc beautiful!!!
      Wendy

      Wendy Shugar
      Articulate Interpreters, Inc.
      6520 Platt Avenue, Suite 218 West Hills, CA 91307
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 12:51 PM
        Any place by a stream that has fish in it.  Will keep your 5 year old's attention and your wife will think she's at a spa!

        A few miles down on Dinky Creek Road there is a trail to Mount Baldy (or Bald Mountain...don't remember which). It is a definite climb, but a couple of miles in you would be treated to some pretty good views. The only problem is that this area is popular with off-road vehicles (not right on the trail, but nearby). It will probably be noisy.

        Simple fact is that all popular trails around Shaver Lake will be packed over that time, and loud.

        You could also drive out to VVR (if there are vacancies) and do some day hiking, fishing, and getting a little of the outdoor experience.

      • John
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1 12:56 PM
          A bit further south of Shaver Lake, but in the general area, is the Jennie Lakes Wilderness.

          We took a novice backpacker to the area many years ago and found it to be a beautiful, yet readily accessible to novices and children. Keep it short by taking the Jennie Lakes Trail to Weaver Lake. From fading memory, it's only a few miles in, limited elevation gain beautiful scenery and good fishing too.   Going all the way to Jennie Lake might be a bit ambitious for 5 year old, so save that for another day.

          The trailhead is pretty close to some of the major Sequoia groves, which you can catch on the way way in or out.

          John M

          On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:08 AM, "pdawg893" <pdawg893@...> wrote:

          As the title suggest, I have finally talked my wife into agreeing to go on an overnight packing trip. My five year old son day hikes with me and loves it....I'm not concerned about him enjoying the experience at all. I am concerned about making it enjoyable for her so she wants to return and we can share this love of mine. Been married 10 years and it took this long to talk her into it!

          I will be in the Shaver Lake area from July 4-8th.

          I have a few ideas of places I would like to take them...but I am looking for potential places, trails, etc. I have overlooked. A trail along water or ending up at a lake would be great.

          As far as mileage....I think 2-4 out and 2-4 back is plenty for a little guy...he won't have a pack.....she and I will.

          I know John Ladd has spent some time in that area with little ones. I am very familiar with the Kaiser/John Muir wilderness above Huntington Lakes. my folks live at Shaver Lake. I would like to stick around there.

          Thank You in advance.

        • shawn peterson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1 3:42 PM
            I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded to my question.  Some of the suggestions looked great and I enjoyed looking up the areas you recommended.

            A few of them I have ear marked for future trips.

            Thanks again everyone...and safe travels to you

            Shawn