RE: [John Muir Trail] Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
      You'll find it in "riparian " areas - that means where there's water, such
      as along a streambed, and lowish altitude. You'll definitely see it hiking
      up from the valley floor towards LYV, such as hiking the first bit towards
      the Vernal Falls view bridge, and also between Vernal Falls (top of) and the
      top of Nevada Falls. After that I'm not sure, it may start to get too high.
      The three leaf configuration is very distinctive - and watch out cos the
      twigs also have the whatever it is allergen. About 15% of the population
      does not react to it. As you likely know, you don't feel it when it touches
      you, but may get itching and blisters a day or two later. It can be a small
      bush, shrub, or vine. Good luck!

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
        And if you do touch it, don't scratch yourself.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
        <barbara@...> wrote:

        > You'll find it in "riparian " areas - that means where there's
        water, such
        > as along a streambed, and lowish altitude. You'll definitely see it
        hiking
        > up from the valley floor towards LYV, such as hiking the first bit
        towards
        > the Vernal Falls view bridge, and also between Vernal Falls (top of)
        and the
        > top of Nevada Falls. After that I'm not sure, it may start to get
        too high.
        > The three leaf configuration is very distinctive - and watch out cos the
        > twigs also have the whatever it is allergen. About 15% of the
        population
        > does not react to it. As you likely know, you don't feel it when it
        touches
        > you, but may get itching and blisters a day or two later. It can be
        a small
        > bush, shrub, or vine. Good luck!
        >

        > _____

      • dc t
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
          I never have. I usually keep a close eye out for that stuff because I have had a very traumatic encounter with that stuff. Like preveous messages you may find it along the riparian zones in lower elevations...MAYBE!, but I have never seen it. I normally keep a look out where just as the wood line is exposed to the sun. Those places I have found tends to have the highest concentrations of that stuff.

          Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
          on the JMT? thanks.

          Roleigh Martin

        • Thomas R. Conroy
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
            Roleigh,

            General rule-of-thumb [dermatologists log off now...] is that poison
            oak grows only below 7,500 ft. elevation where it does grow at all.
            Hence, in the Sierra should be very observant at trailheads and the
            lower elevations in Yosemite. It's the wonderful oak woodland
            foothills of the Sierra where poison oak thrives, not to mention Los
            Padres National Forest and the like [absolute nightmare for the
            majority of us allergic to that dreaded plant].

            Leaves of three, let it be! And give it a wide berth!

            Thomas R. Conroy
            trconroy@...

            On Jan 1, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Roleigh Martin wrote:

            > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from
            > such
            > on the JMT? thanks.
            >
            > Roleigh Martin

          • mountainjazzy
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
              There probably is a poison oak on some parts in the lower elevations
              of the JMT. Depending on the time of year you go, it could be worse
              then other times. There are some parts where no plants grow at all.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer
              from such
              > on the JMT? thanks.
              >
              > Roleigh Martin

            • Scott
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                I hiked the trail July/Aug this past year. I did not see any poison oak
                and didn't expect to. I know the plant well having grown up in the Bay
                Area and lived at the 3000 ft level in Calaveras County. It really
                doesn't grow above 3500-4000ft. Watch out in winter when it has no
                leaves, just a reddish/brown to gray thin spikes, but still has lots of
                oil. The oil which causes the rash can be washed off with soap and
                water and I have also heard bleach. I have heard that washing off right
                away can prevent rash but....
              • mountainjazzy
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                  I grew up in Arnold and then moved to Angels camp.
                  I used to get poison oak so bad as a kid. The soap is a good thing to
                  have for your day hikes at lower elevations ,it works great!

                • herbstroh@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                    Ordinary soap is not terribly effective in removing the oils. There is a
                    product marketed especially for washing off poison oak oils: Tecnu. As I
                    understand it, the soap was originally developed for people working in
                    nuclear plants to remove contaminate.

                    Anyway, you rub it in to the exposed area for about 2 minutes, wash it off,
                    towel, then reapply. (Use a different part of the towel each time you dry).
                    The more times you reapply the more likely all the oils have been removed.
                    It feels like you are prep'ing for surgery, but it works.

                    I lived for 13 years in a hill side home and found myself constantaly
                    plagued by rash. I couldn't figure it out--I knew what poision oak looked
                    like and I had none growing on my property. Yet every time I did brush
                    clearance I broke out in a rash on my hands and arms. Then a neighbor
                    advised that the oils get into the soil, particularly in brush fire areas.
                    I experimented and found that every time I handled hill side soil I broke
                    out. The same neighbor turned me on to Tecnu, and I started buying it in
                    the "family size."

                    Note that most people will not get sufficient exposure to break out just by
                    contacting soil. One becomes more susceptible to rash after repeated
                    exposure, which I had over the years. Anyway, if you think you came into
                    contact with poison oak, try Tecnu.