Re: [John Muir Trail] Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

  • Robert W. Freed
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
      I don't think there is poison oak in the high Sierras. I am not positive because I have seen it in both southern and northern California on my PCT hike. But I don't recall ever see it in high altitude.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
        You'll find it in "riparian " areas - that means where there's water, such
        as along a streambed, and lowish altitude. You'll definitely see it hiking
        up from the valley floor towards LYV, such as hiking the first bit towards
        the Vernal Falls view bridge, and also between Vernal Falls (top of) and the
        top of Nevada Falls. After that I'm not sure, it may start to get too high.
        The three leaf configuration is very distinctive - and watch out cos the
        twigs also have the whatever it is allergen. About 15% of the population
        does not react to it. As you likely know, you don't feel it when it touches
        you, but may get itching and blisters a day or two later. It can be a small
        bush, shrub, or vine. Good luck!

        _____

        Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
        on the JMT? thanks.

        Roleigh Martin

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
          And if you do touch it, don't scratch yourself.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
          <barbara@...> wrote:

          > You'll find it in "riparian " areas - that means where there's
          water, such
          > as along a streambed, and lowish altitude. You'll definitely see it
          hiking
          > up from the valley floor towards LYV, such as hiking the first bit
          towards
          > the Vernal Falls view bridge, and also between Vernal Falls (top of)
          and the
          > top of Nevada Falls. After that I'm not sure, it may start to get
          too high.
          > The three leaf configuration is very distinctive - and watch out cos the
          > twigs also have the whatever it is allergen. About 15% of the
          population
          > does not react to it. As you likely know, you don't feel it when it
          touches
          > you, but may get itching and blisters a day or two later. It can be
          a small
          > bush, shrub, or vine. Good luck!
          >

          > _____

        • dc t
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
            I never have. I usually keep a close eye out for that stuff because I have had a very traumatic encounter with that stuff. Like preveous messages you may find it along the riparian zones in lower elevations...MAYBE!, but I have never seen it. I normally keep a look out where just as the wood line is exposed to the sun. Those places I have found tends to have the highest concentrations of that stuff.

            Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
            on the JMT? thanks.

            Roleigh Martin

          • Thomas R. Conroy
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
              Roleigh,

              General rule-of-thumb [dermatologists log off now...] is that poison
              oak grows only below 7,500 ft. elevation where it does grow at all.
              Hence, in the Sierra should be very observant at trailheads and the
              lower elevations in Yosemite. It's the wonderful oak woodland
              foothills of the Sierra where poison oak thrives, not to mention Los
              Padres National Forest and the like [absolute nightmare for the
              majority of us allergic to that dreaded plant].

              Leaves of three, let it be! And give it a wide berth!

              Thomas R. Conroy
              trconroy@...

              On Jan 1, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Roleigh Martin wrote:

              > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from
              > such
              > on the JMT? thanks.
              >
              > Roleigh Martin

            • mountainjazzy
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                There probably is a poison oak on some parts in the lower elevations
                of the JMT. Depending on the time of year you go, it could be worse
                then other times. There are some parts where no plants grow at all.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer
                from such
                > on the JMT? thanks.
                >
                > Roleigh Martin

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                  I hiked the trail July/Aug this past year. I did not see any poison oak
                  and didn't expect to. I know the plant well having grown up in the Bay
                  Area and lived at the 3000 ft level in Calaveras County. It really
                  doesn't grow above 3500-4000ft. Watch out in winter when it has no
                  leaves, just a reddish/brown to gray thin spikes, but still has lots of
                  oil. The oil which causes the rash can be washed off with soap and
                  water and I have also heard bleach. I have heard that washing off right
                  away can prevent rash but....
                • mountainjazzy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                    I grew up in Arnold and then moved to Angels camp.
                    I used to get poison oak so bad as a kid. The soap is a good thing to
                    have for your day hikes at lower elevations ,it works great!

                  • herbstroh@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                      Ordinary soap is not terribly effective in removing the oils. There is a
                      product marketed especially for washing off poison oak oils: Tecnu. As I
                      understand it, the soap was originally developed for people working in
                      nuclear plants to remove contaminate.

                      Anyway, you rub it in to the exposed area for about 2 minutes, wash it off,
                      towel, then reapply. (Use a different part of the towel each time you dry).
                      The more times you reapply the more likely all the oils have been removed.
                      It feels like you are prep'ing for surgery, but it works.

                      I lived for 13 years in a hill side home and found myself constantaly
                      plagued by rash. I couldn't figure it out--I knew what poision oak looked
                      like and I had none growing on my property. Yet every time I did brush
                      clearance I broke out in a rash on my hands and arms. Then a neighbor
                      advised that the oils get into the soil, particularly in brush fire areas.
                      I experimented and found that every time I handled hill side soil I broke
                      out. The same neighbor turned me on to Tecnu, and I started buying it in
                      the "family size."

                      Note that most people will not get sufficient exposure to break out just by
                      contacting soil. One becomes more susceptible to rash after repeated
                      exposure, which I had over the years. Anyway, if you think you came into
                      contact with poison oak, try Tecnu.