Re: Donahue to Vogelsang?

  • outhiking_55
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
      I find it kind of interesting that on Google Maps it shows a short section of trail just north of Florence Peak from Florence Lake up toward the crest, but it doesn't connect to the trail from Voglesang to Merced Lake. I'm assuming this is a well established cross country route?

      > David
      > Yes, I've done it many times. PM me if your interested.
      > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
      > <http://www.johndittli.com>
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "five_ten_is_easy" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi
      > > is there a cross country way to get from donahue pass to vogelsang hsc
      > > thanks!
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, straw_marmot no_reply@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What do you mean exactly? There's a maintained trail marked on all
      > the maps from Vogelsang down to about the midpoint of Lyell. I've not
      > done it before, but doing it this year. Should be straightforward.

    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
        If you go by way of Vogelsang Pass this is the view from there.

        http://outhiking.com/ys14.html

        On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM, outhiking_55 <animalfarm99@...> wrote:

        I find it kind of interesting that on Google Maps it shows a short section of trail just north of Florence Peak from Florence Lake up toward the crest, but it doesn't connect to the trail from Voglesang to Merced Lake. I'm assuming this is a well established cross country route?

        > David
        > Yes, I've done it many times. PM me if your interested.
        > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
        > <http://www.johndittli.com>
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "five_ten_is_easy" wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi
        > > is there a cross country way to get from donahue pass to vogelsang hsc
        > > thanks!
        > >
        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, straw_marmot no_reply@ wrote:
        > > >
        > > > What do you mean exactly? There's a maintained trail marked on all
        > the maps from Vogelsang down to about the midpoint of Lyell. I've not
        > done it before, but doing it this year. Should be straightforward.

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
          Kim, great Yosemite photos! I will doing a similar loop that you covered the end of July. Starting from TM, going over Vogelsang Pass, heading to Triple Creek Jct., over Red Peak Pass, down the Illiouette drainage, up the Merced River canyon, by Merced Lake, and out via Emerrick Lake to TM. Do you have any 'must stop' places? I have a few on my list, including: Vogelsang Lake, the waterfall camp by the Lyell Fork, a side trip to Isberg Pass to look over the area of a future section hike of the SHR, Red Devil Lake, Red Peak Pass, Lower Ottoway Lake, the cascade slide near Bunnell Point. We may do Half Dome as a side trip as we have the permit if needed. Any tips or advice would be appreciated as I haven't been to most of this area of Yosemite before. Thanks!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <animalfarm99@...> wrote:

          > If you go by way of Vogelsang Pass this is the view from there.
          >
          > http://outhiking.com/ys14.html
          >

          > On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM, outhiking_55 <animalfarm99@...>wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I find it kind of interesting that on Google Maps it shows a short section
          > > of trail just north of Florence Peak from Florence Lake up toward the
          > > crest, but it doesn't connect to the trail from Voglesang to Merced Lake.
          > > I'm assuming this is a well established cross country route?
          > >
          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > David
          > > > Yes, I've done it many times. PM me if your interested.
          > > > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
          > > > <http://www.johndittli.com>

          > > > the maps from Vogelsang down to about the midpoint of Lyell. I've not
          > > > done it before, but doing it this year. Should be straightforward.

        • John
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
            That's is interesting, as there is definitely no trail there that I have ever seen. One finds all sorts of interesting things on Google maps though. The "route" from DP to Volgelsang isn't at all established  and doesn't go on that side of the Cathedral Range, unless you want to go that way! Then it's a serious adventure!

            JD
            see book here

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "outhiking_55" wrote:

            > I find it kind of interesting that on Google Maps it shows a short section of trail just north of Florence Peak from Florence Lake up toward the crest, but it doesn't connect to the trail from Voglesang to Merced Lake. I'm assuming this is a well established cross country route?
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" johndittli@ wrote:
            > >
            > > David
            > > Yes, I've done it many times. PM me if your interested.
            > > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
            > >

            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "five_ten_is_easy" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi
            > > > is there a cross country way to get from donahue pass to vogelsang hsc
            > > > thanks!

            > > the maps from Vogelsang down to about the midpoint of Lyell. I've not
            > > done it before, but doing it this year. Should be straightforward.

          • scriv.ener
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
              Actually, it is sort of fun to plot out such a cross-country route. How about this:

              Down (NB) from Donohue Pass to the stream crossing, then upstream (south fork Lyle Creek) until able to swing up the pass to the north. Past the lakes on the north fork of Lyle Creek, then over the pass to Maclure Creek. Up to the basin rim (going NW), past a cluster of lakes due south of Earhart Peak, then over that last pass before dropping to Ireland Lake and following the trail to Vogelsang.

              But like another writer stated, that's some pretty unforgiving country up there. The above does not account for trail conditions (loose boulders, talus, scree, etc.). I wouldn't do it solo, and certainly without at least a PLB. I plot about twelve miles, but I'd take three days of food.

              ~ Jeffrey

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "five_ten_is_easy" <dokner@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > is there a cross country way to get from donahue pass
              > to vogelsang hsc
              > thanks!
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, straw_marmot <no_reply@> wrote:
              > >
              > > What do you mean exactly? There's a maintained trail marked on all the maps from Vogelsang down to about the midpoint of Lyell. I've not done it before, but doing it this year. Should be straightforward.
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "five_ten_is_easy" <dokner@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey everyone,
              > > > does anyone have a route from Donahue to Vogelsang?
              > > > thanks!
              > > > cheers
              > > > david

            • scriv.ener
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
                Wow, those pictures tell a lot. How about, then, from north of Earhart Pass turning left, climbing just past Parsons Peak, then following the west side of the ridgeline to Vogelsang Lake? The one tricky part looks like picking one's way down the ridgeline to Vogelsang Pass.