Re: Permit

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 1, 2013
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Alex Patino <alexpatino@...> wrote:
      > Do you know if we were to start at glacier point, would we still get
      > permits out of the same office that we would for HI? Also, would we take a
      > bus from the Yosemite permit office to the Glacier Point trailhead? Sorry
      > for all the questions, I appreciate the help.
      >
      > Alex P

      A bus from Yosemite Valley to Glacier Point is here: http://www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-tour.aspx. It leaves the valley floor at 8:30am, 10am and 1:30pm. It leaves from Yosemite Lodge at the Falls under the porte cochere.
    • cehauser1
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 25, 2014
        I totally agree:  it is all about pack weight, physical condition, daily schedule, and hiking strategy.  Numerous books have been written about each of these 4 topics, but I'm a fan of Mike Clelland's lightweight backpacking tips book.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <berdomb@...> wrote :

        Everybody is different.  The overriding factors are your pack weight, your body weight, and your cardiovascular shape. But the JMT is  a well graded stock trail, with nice switchbacks.

        The keys to higher mileage, is be in shape, carry a light pack, start earlier, hike later. Maintain a constant easy pace with a few short breaks.  Hike longer, not harder or faster.

        The faster you go uphill, and the more winded you get, the longer break you will take.  It will totally and completely  offset hiking slower, and then some. Guaranteed. The slower hikers you pass on the way up, will pass you again while you are resting. The tortoise wins everytime.