Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
      on the JMT? thanks.

      Roleigh Martin

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
        Never seen any poison oak. I think, and I may be absolutely wrong on this, but I think poison oak is more of a low altitude, hot place, kind of thing . . . and there are very few places where you are close enough to lots of brush��heading through tully hole area comes to mind as one place where you're tangling with the brush a bit, but NO, never seen any, nor worried . . . as a kid I would go out for a few days with my friends and we'd come back and I'd always be the lucky, or non-allergic one, while they suffered. Anyway, you'll probably see more rattlesnakes than poison oak/ivy (but the snake thing's been covered) which is to say, none. sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: roleigh@...: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 20:40:11 -0600Subject: [John Muir Trail] Is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT?

        Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
        on the JMT? thanks.

        Roleigh Martin

      • Robert W. Freed
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
          I don't think there is poison oak in the high Sierras. I am not positive because I have seen it in both southern and northern California on my PCT hike. But I don't recall ever see it in high altitude.

          Robert

          Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
          on the JMT? thanks.

          Roleigh Martin

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
            You'll find it in "riparian " areas - that means where there's water, such
            as along a streambed, and lowish altitude. You'll definitely see it hiking
            up from the valley floor towards LYV, such as hiking the first bit towards
            the Vernal Falls view bridge, and also between Vernal Falls (top of) and the
            top of Nevada Falls. After that I'm not sure, it may start to get too high.
            The three leaf configuration is very distinctive - and watch out cos the
            twigs also have the whatever it is allergen. About 15% of the population
            does not react to it. As you likely know, you don't feel it when it touches
            you, but may get itching and blisters a day or two later. It can be a small
            bush, shrub, or vine. Good luck!

            _____

            Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
            on the JMT? thanks.

            Roleigh Martin

          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
              And if you do touch it, don't scratch yourself.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
              <barbara@...> wrote:

              > You'll find it in "riparian " areas - that means where there's
              water, such
              > as along a streambed, and lowish altitude. You'll definitely see it
              hiking
              > up from the valley floor towards LYV, such as hiking the first bit
              towards
              > the Vernal Falls view bridge, and also between Vernal Falls (top of)
              and the
              > top of Nevada Falls. After that I'm not sure, it may start to get
              too high.
              > The three leaf configuration is very distinctive - and watch out cos the
              > twigs also have the whatever it is allergen. About 15% of the
              population
              > does not react to it. As you likely know, you don't feel it when it
              touches
              > you, but may get itching and blisters a day or two later. It can be
              a small
              > bush, shrub, or vine. Good luck!
              >

              > _____

            • dc t
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
                I never have. I usually keep a close eye out for that stuff because I have had a very traumatic encounter with that stuff. Like preveous messages you may find it along the riparian zones in lower elevations...MAYBE!, but I have never seen it. I normally keep a look out where just as the wood line is exposed to the sun. Those places I have found tends to have the highest concentrations of that stuff.

                Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from such
                on the JMT? thanks.

                Roleigh Martin

              • Thomas R. Conroy
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Roleigh,

                  General rule-of-thumb [dermatologists log off now...] is that poison
                  oak grows only below 7,500 ft. elevation where it does grow at all.
                  Hence, in the Sierra should be very observant at trailheads and the
                  lower elevations in Yosemite. It's the wonderful oak woodland
                  foothills of the Sierra where poison oak thrives, not to mention Los
                  Padres National Forest and the like [absolute nightmare for the
                  majority of us allergic to that dreaded plant].

                  Leaves of three, let it be! And give it a wide berth!

                  Thomas R. Conroy
                  trconroy@...

                  On Jan 1, 2009, at 6:40 PM, Roleigh Martin wrote:

                  > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer from
                  > such
                  > on the JMT? thanks.
                  >
                  > Roleigh Martin

                • mountainjazzy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                    There probably is a poison oak on some parts in the lower elevations
                    of the JMT. Depending on the time of year you go, it could be worse
                    then other times. There are some parts where no plants grow at all.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi, is there poison ivy or poison oak on the JMT? Anyone suffer
                    from such
                    > on the JMT? thanks.
                    >
                    > Roleigh Martin

                  • Scott
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                      I hiked the trail July/Aug this past year. I did not see any poison oak
                      and didn't expect to. I know the plant well having grown up in the Bay
                      Area and lived at the 3000 ft level in Calaveras County. It really
                      doesn't grow above 3500-4000ft. Watch out in winter when it has no
                      leaves, just a reddish/brown to gray thin spikes, but still has lots of
                      oil. The oil which causes the rash can be washed off with soap and
                      water and I have also heard bleach. I have heard that washing off right
                      away can prevent rash but....
                    • mountainjazzy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                        I grew up in Arnold and then moved to Angels camp.
                        I used to get poison oak so bad as a kid. The soap is a good thing to
                        have for your day hikes at lower elevations ,it works great!

                      • herbstroh@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                          Ordinary soap is not terribly effective in removing the oils. There is a
                          product marketed especially for washing off poison oak oils: Tecnu. As I
                          understand it, the soap was originally developed for people working in
                          nuclear plants to remove contaminate.

                          Anyway, you rub it in to the exposed area for about 2 minutes, wash it off,
                          towel, then reapply. (Use a different part of the towel each time you dry).
                          The more times you reapply the more likely all the oils have been removed.
                          It feels like you are prep'ing for surgery, but it works.

                          I lived for 13 years in a hill side home and found myself constantaly
                          plagued by rash. I couldn't figure it out--I knew what poision oak looked
                          like and I had none growing on my property. Yet every time I did brush
                          clearance I broke out in a rash on my hands and arms. Then a neighbor
                          advised that the oils get into the soil, particularly in brush fire areas.
                          I experimented and found that every time I handled hill side soil I broke
                          out. The same neighbor turned me on to Tecnu, and I started buying it in
                          the "family size."

                          Note that most people will not get sufficient exposure to break out just by
                          contacting soil. One becomes more susceptible to rash after repeated
                          exposure, which I had over the years. Anyway, if you think you came into
                          contact with poison oak, try Tecnu.