Re: [John Muir Trail] Permit

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 57 , Jun 30, 2013
      Here's a nice option that's available. Tolumne-Cathedral Lakes is open Sept 4th. This is how I'm probably going to do my own hike this year, as I don't like the crowds in Yosemite Valley. Start at Tolumne, initially backtracking on the JMT past Cathedral Lakes, head down to do Half Dome, then cut across east via Merced Lake and Vogelsang, and pick up the onward JMT in Lyell. You'll have to explain the route when you book your permit, but it's perfectly legal to get a JMT permit with this start.

      I assume that you know about the "full trailheads report" online?
      http://www.nps.gov/featurecontent/yose/upload/rptFullTrailheadDates.htm#

      > Ken,
      >
      > I doubt if you asked about the 6-8 options to get onto the JMT, look at
      > this folder, then the trailhead quota report -- I'm sure you can get onto
      > the JMT via one of these options

      > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > _
      >

      > On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM, kennethjessett@... <
      > kennethjessett@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Ugh! I've just called to get a permit from Yosemite Valley (I know, I left
      > > it much too late) on the 6th September and was told nothing available, so
      > > ... I'll just have to get there and queue up. Sigh!

    • cehauser1
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 25, 2014
        I totally agree:  it is all about pack weight, physical condition, daily schedule, and hiking strategy.  Numerous books have been written about each of these 4 topics, but I'm a fan of Mike Clelland's lightweight backpacking tips book.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <berdomb@...> wrote :

        Everybody is different.  The overriding factors are your pack weight, your body weight, and your cardiovascular shape. But the JMT is  a well graded stock trail, with nice switchbacks.

        The keys to higher mileage, is be in shape, carry a light pack, start earlier, hike later. Maintain a constant easy pace with a few short breaks.  Hike longer, not harder or faster.

        The faster you go uphill, and the more winded you get, the longer break you will take.  It will totally and completely  offset hiking slower, and then some. Guaranteed. The slower hikers you pass on the way up, will pass you again while you are resting. The tortoise wins everytime.