Re: Permit

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 57 , Jun 30, 2013
      You have the best option by far, in my opinion. The Panorama Trail (that's what you follow from Glacier Point) is probably the most beautiful trail in Yosemite, and it's quiet and peaceful. Fabulous way to start the hike. Just forget the "purism" thing, if John Muir did the hike today, he'd take the Panorama. By contrast, the first few miles up from Happy Isles is a slog through crowds of people, the first part on concrete.

      4 mile is also really worth doing. It's a relentless but steady 10% gradient, very well made trail with no exposure. Way easier than Whitney, so should be well within your abilities! The only aspect of the "purism" thing that I might favor is that it's kind of cool to start from the valley floor and feel that you've "earned" the views up top. Plus, there's ice cream for lunch at the Glacier point cafe.

      I'd say that the loop from the valley floor up 4-mile, along Panorama and back around to Happy Isles is probably one of the premier day hikes anywhere in the world.

      Enjoy yourself
      all the best
      Ralph

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, David Hughes <dghughes11@...> wrote:

      > After hearing all the stories I am stoked to get a permit for the day I wanted. It is from Glaicer point to LYV.
      >
      > I wanted to start at happy isles and be a purest to do the whole JMT trial. I was wondering should I just be happy and start at Glacier Point? Otherwise I was going to see if I could get a start at happy isles. Or should I try to exchange on the day i pick up my permit? Or should I just not care?
      >
      > The 4 mile trial added on to this looks pretty tough for the first day. Should I just take the shuttle to Glacier Point?
      >
      > So happy right now to have a permit on the day I wanted.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > David

    • cehauser1
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 25, 2014
        I totally agree:  it is all about pack weight, physical condition, daily schedule, and hiking strategy.  Numerous books have been written about each of these 4 topics, but I'm a fan of Mike Clelland's lightweight backpacking tips book.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <berdomb@...> wrote :

        Everybody is different.  The overriding factors are your pack weight, your body weight, and your cardiovascular shape. But the JMT is  a well graded stock trail, with nice switchbacks.

        The keys to higher mileage, is be in shape, carry a light pack, start earlier, hike later. Maintain a constant easy pace with a few short breaks.  Hike longer, not harder or faster.

        The faster you go uphill, and the more winded you get, the longer break you will take.  It will totally and completely  offset hiking slower, and then some. Guaranteed. The slower hikers you pass on the way up, will pass you again while you are resting. The tortoise wins everytime.