Re: Permit

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 71 , Jun 30, 2013
      You have the best option by far, in my opinion. The Panorama Trail (that's what you follow from Glacier Point) is probably the most beautiful trail in Yosemite, and it's quiet and peaceful. Fabulous way to start the hike. Just forget the "purism" thing, if John Muir did the hike today, he'd take the Panorama. By contrast, the first few miles up from Happy Isles is a slog through crowds of people, the first part on concrete.

      4 mile is also really worth doing. It's a relentless but steady 10% gradient, very well made trail with no exposure. Way easier than Whitney, so should be well within your abilities! The only aspect of the "purism" thing that I might favor is that it's kind of cool to start from the valley floor and feel that you've "earned" the views up top. Plus, there's ice cream for lunch at the Glacier point cafe.

      I'd say that the loop from the valley floor up 4-mile, along Panorama and back around to Happy Isles is probably one of the premier day hikes anywhere in the world.

      Enjoy yourself
      all the best
      Ralph

      Message 71 of 71 , Feb 15
        Please consider adding your trip to this year's hike plans spreadsheet. The Yahoo group has been using these for 7 years and the FB groups for at least 3. Explained here http://bit.ly/JMTTripInst

        On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM zahns918@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I faxed my permit request in on Monday and received an email Monday night that I was in the lottery until 8/21. We were drawn today! We have our permit for 8/2 start date. We were very surprised to get drawn for Happy Isles pass through on the 2nd day. Good luck to everyone trying for one!!!!

        1616 Castro St.
        San Francisco, CA 94114