Re: first aid kit

  • Stephen Kundell
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 30, 2013
      Triple antibiotic (neosporin) does not slow wound healing. The problem
      is that many people develop contact allergies to the extra ingredient,
      neomycin.

      My first aid kit:
      leukotape, pre cut on release paper (throw away from the mail store)
      few band aids
      whatever little packet of antibacterial ointment i can swipe from my office
      latex gloves if I have to handle someone's blood.
      syringe and big needle to irrigate a laceration, most important part of
      preventing infection.
      dermabond - for gluing sutures
      steristrips and benzoin
      suture and hemostat (lighter than needle holder, other uses)
      skin staples (less than one ounce)
      packet of xeroform gauze (bad abrasions or burns -- overkill, but it was
      available in the office)
      roll gauze (can cut as needed)
      Few telfa pads
      A little cotton padding (the stuff that goes on skin under casts)
      tiny syringe, 1ml epinephrine (enough for 3 emergency injections),
      dexamethasone, benadryl -- if you have anaphylaxis near me, I will be
      ready. As I have previously commented, a single epi-pen weighs too much
      and only lasts 20 minutes.
      dexamethasone for allergic reactions, imodium, diphenhydramine
      (Benadyl), ibuprofin , acetominophen,
      This all weighs about 1/2 pound, and is clearly too much, but as an
      MD, I feel obliged to be able to help my fellow hikers when I can.
      My best item is my injinji no-show length lightweight toe sock liners
      that have eliminated blisters.
      Stephen
    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 27, 2013
        The ESSENTIAL item is 'second skin' or any other antiseptic liquid bandage product (Walgreens carries them) to cover scrapes, cuts, blisters, burns, etc.

        Also, let me plug for injinji socks to prevent blisters forming in the first place.

        Ken.