Re: [John Muir Trail] Permit

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 57 , Jun 30, 2013
      And yes, a JMT permit covers the entire trail, from your start all the way to   the top of Whitney and down to the portal.

      You could get real picky and say that you're not legally on the JMT once you head down the east side of whitney and therefore your permit isn't valid, but how else are you going to get down? So just consider your permit good all the way to Whitney portal.

      Bob

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 30, 2013, at 7:29 PM, "apatinotx" <alexpatino@...> wrote:

      Howdy everyone,

      Hope yall had a great weekend. So I'm trying to finalize our plans for a hopeful start date of 26th July!! Had two questions

      We are planning in gettin in line real early to get permits, are they for starting the sane day or only for the next day?

      Also, do the permits we get to start at HI cover the entire JMT?

      Thank yall again for your help.

      Take care,

      Alex P

    • cehauser1
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 25, 2014
        I totally agree:  it is all about pack weight, physical condition, daily schedule, and hiking strategy.  Numerous books have been written about each of these 4 topics, but I'm a fan of Mike Clelland's lightweight backpacking tips book.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <berdomb@...> wrote :

        Everybody is different.  The overriding factors are your pack weight, your body weight, and your cardiovascular shape. But the JMT is  a well graded stock trail, with nice switchbacks.

        The keys to higher mileage, is be in shape, carry a light pack, start earlier, hike later. Maintain a constant easy pace with a few short breaks.  Hike longer, not harder or faster.

        The faster you go uphill, and the more winded you get, the longer break you will take.  It will totally and completely  offset hiking slower, and then some. Guaranteed. The slower hikers you pass on the way up, will pass you again while you are resting. The tortoise wins everytime.