RE: [John Muir Trail] first aid kit

  • Jim Ringland
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 30, 2013

      Here's my list.  My first aid kit includes a few non-medical emergency supplies.  And while it's not in the kit (and not here), I also carry about an ounce of aspirin and take some most every night.

      Small stuff sack
      Bandage pack (with a few blister patches)
      Cloth tape (mostly for feet)
      Extra gauze
      Elastic bandage
      Antiseptic (BKZ spray at the moment.  I like liquids.  The 2 times I've used an anticeptic, I've needed to irrigate a wound.)
      Tweezers
      Nail clipper
      Antihistamines: A few Loratadine and a few Diphenhydramine (the latter doesn't work for me as a sleep aid but it's a great antihistamine)
      Air mattress repair kit
      Extra rope
      Extra waterproof matches
      A few extra iodine tablets
      Toilet paper for one use with 2 alcohol wipes

      Some of these things would not be needed on a JMT through-hike where one is always with one's full pack but come in handy on other kinds of trips where there are day hikes on layover days.  I think I've used or given out most of these things in the last 5 years or so.  Most used by me: cloth tape, nail clipper, antihistamines, and toilet paper (on those dayhikes).   I've carried more but every few years I remove more stuff.   Total weight of all the above is a bit over 9 ounces.

      Jim Ringland

      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 27, 2013
        The ESSENTIAL item is 'second skin' or any other antiseptic liquid bandage product (Walgreens carries them) to cover scrapes, cuts, blisters, burns, etc.

        Also, let me plug for injinji socks to prevent blisters forming in the first place.

        Ken.