Re: [John Muir Trail] New to Forum: Plan to Hike JMT July 2009

  • Ima Person
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      Sim, good to hear you are returning, particularly with your son.  This will give him such an adventure, hopefully one that will start him off on a lifetime of adventures.

      If the lottery for Whitney Portal does not work out, consider going in at Cottonwood Creek/Horseshow Meadow area.  It would add some time to your trip but may be a fallback alternative.

      Al

      ________________________________
      From: Ima Person <imaperson91@ yahoo.com>
      To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 8:28 AM

      Its a fun hike, Jon.  I hiked it for the first time this past summer, starting the last week in June and ending just after the 4th of July.  Just for insurance, bring at least a Headnet and long pants.  I encountered a couple of places where the mossy's were thick enough you did not want to stop or even slow down but they were never overwhelming at the places I camped.   Give yourself some shorter mileage days at the beginning to acclimate or plan just to feel a bit off for awhile.  I really didn't start feeling strong on the passes until after 4 days.  The water crossings weren't a problem, but it really depends on the snowmelt.  The few worrisome places were less than knee deep.

      Plan for the worst, Hope for the best..  Enjoy, its a great experience!

      Al

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
        Thanks Don. I'll keep an eye on the Kings CAnyon & Inyo sites.

        We are getting a lot of snow this year, so there well be more snow on
        the passes, and swifter streams, than last years' July.

        I've used walking sticks for a few years now, and I swear by them.
        They've gotten me through a stream that I wouldn't have dared to try
        if I didn't have them. And they're worth using just for the strain
        they take off your joints on the descents.

        Mosquitoes! Oiii! THe heaviest I've ever run across was in Jack Main
        Canyon (Hetch-Hetchy area). Had to have a head net on while eating;
        and every time I lifted the net to put a spoonfull in my mouth several
        skeeters found their way in. They were in my food..everywhere! The
        only way to get away from them was to get in the water. Being an
        ounce-counter, I didn't have any deet. I'll certainly carry it this trip!

        Jon

        <dc_t63@...> wrote:

        > Jon,
        >     As far as mosquitos, we ran into areas where they were very
        thick. As far as snow goes, well, I got on the Kings Canyon and Inyo
        Forrest web site and found a page on there that gave trail conditions.
        During this past July, most of the snow was on all of the north sides
        of the passes. Once you crossed over to the south side, it was rather
        clear with a few patches here and there.My time frame was from around
        30 June to 10 or 11 July. I only ran accross one stream that gave me
        pause, but with walking sticks none of them posed any serious problem.
        I think in July, unless this winter dumps tons of snow, you should be
        ok so long you bring some walking sticks. I never really used them
        before up until this last trip. They are a great tool to have.

        > Don
      • Jon Shannon
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
          Al:

          Thanks for the info. Yes, it usually takes 4 or 5 days before I really
          start feeling fit. Usually that's when I have to start heading home.
          Really looking forward to being able to stay on the trail for 3 weeks!!

          Next dream: PCT!!!

          Jon

          Ima Person <imaperson91@...> wrote:

          > Its a fun hike, Jon.  I hiked it for the first time this past
          summer, starting the last week in June and ending just after the 4th
          of July.  I really didn't start feeling strong on the passes until
          after 4 days.  The water crossings   The few worrisome places were
          less than knee deep.