Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: What degree sleeping bag?

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30 7:32 AM
      If you're good down to 18F, you'll be fine for a summer JMT hiker.  Coldest I've seen it get is down to about 25F.

      _

      On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM, staehpj1 <Pete.Staehling@...> wrote:

      I hesitate to answer that because I might either cause someone to freeze or get a lecture, but... I plan to take a 45 F bag with no extra down clothing. The bag is a Mountain Hardware Phantom 45. I have found that FOR ME it has been fine on many sub freezing nights. I have used it down to 18 F in a bivy with bike tights, a warm shirt, and two pairs of socks, but did not feel like that was even the lower limit for the set up.

      I should mention that I apparently put out heat like a furnace, since I often camp with folks with a MUCH warmer setup who were wearing all their layers and say they were freezing when I was comfy with no layers without even zipping the bag.