Re: [John Muir Trail] New to Forum: Plan to Hike JMT July 2009

  • song95139@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi Al,

      Indeed it was a wonderful hike last summer Al.  I could not stop talking about JMT since I got home.  The pictures keep reminding me of going back next summer.  My 13 yo son will be joining me next summer going north bound.  I am looking forward hiking with me son on the JMT.  He has been hiking with me on 3 days trip for the last three years.  He is ready for a longer trip.

      I have been reading up permit application going north bound.  It is a lottery system, if I understand correctly, to start at Whitney.  I am going to give it a try for a late July start.  Can anyone give me some advise on how to get a permit?

      Great to see your post.

      Sim
      San Jose

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
        Sim, good to hear you are returning, particularly with your son.  This will give him such an adventure, hopefully one that will start him off on a lifetime of adventures.

        If the lottery for Whitney Portal does not work out, consider going in at Cottonwood Creek/Horseshow Meadow area.  It would add some time to your trip but may be a fallback alternative.

        Al

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
          Thanks Don. I'll keep an eye on the Kings CAnyon & Inyo sites.

          We are getting a lot of snow this year, so there well be more snow on
          the passes, and swifter streams, than last years' July.

          I've used walking sticks for a few years now, and I swear by them.
          They've gotten me through a stream that I wouldn't have dared to try
          if I didn't have them. And they're worth using just for the strain
          they take off your joints on the descents.

          Mosquitoes! Oiii! THe heaviest I've ever run across was in Jack Main
          Canyon (Hetch-Hetchy area). Had to have a head net on while eating;
          and every time I lifted the net to put a spoonfull in my mouth several
          skeeters found their way in. They were in my food..everywhere! The
          only way to get away from them was to get in the water. Being an
          ounce-counter, I didn't have any deet. I'll certainly carry it this trip!

          Jon

          <dc_t63@...> wrote:

          > Jon,
          >     As far as mosquitos, we ran into areas where they were very
          thick. As far as snow goes, well, I got on the Kings Canyon and Inyo
          Forrest web site and found a page on there that gave trail conditions.
          During this past July, most of the snow was on all of the north sides
          of the passes. Once you crossed over to the south side, it was rather
          clear with a few patches here and there.My time frame was from around
          30 June to 10 or 11 July. I only ran accross one stream that gave me
          pause, but with walking sticks none of them posed any serious problem.
          I think in July, unless this winter dumps tons of snow, you should be
          ok so long you bring some walking sticks. I never really used them
          before up until this last trip. They are a great tool to have.

          > Don
        • Jon Shannon
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
            Al:

            Thanks for the info. Yes, it usually takes 4 or 5 days before I really
            start feeling fit. Usually that's when I have to start heading home.
            Really looking forward to being able to stay on the trail for 3 weeks!!

            Next dream: PCT!!!

            Jon

            Ima Person <imaperson91@...> wrote:

            > Its a fun hike, Jon.  I hiked it for the first time this past
            summer, starting the last week in June and ending just after the 4th
            of July.  I really didn't start feeling strong on the passes until
            after 4 days.  The water crossings   The few worrisome places were
            less than knee deep.